TShort

Well Known Member
I'm riveting the LE's together and need to make a decision soon about the duckworks lights. Definitely not going with the HID (would like them but can't justify the cost).
Any thoughts on the relative benefits / downsides to round vs. rectangular - i.e. bulb availability / interchangeability, brightness, etc? I'd like to get something that has readily available bulbs that are not terribly expensive but that have good light output (more for visibility than anything - I don't use the landing lights for landing at night anyway).

Thanks
Thomas
-8 wings

Last edited:
Duckworks

Thomas,
I went with the rectangular model, and replaced the bulbs with 100w bulbs from Wal-Mart (or someplace similar). Can't beat the replacement cost. I also will install the wig-wag system from AeroElectric Connection for the best visibility in the air. Inexpensive insurance. For what it's worth, I installed the light in one wing during construction, and the other after the wings were prettty well finished (except for the tips). Not much difference in difficulty.
Not flying yet, but I expect good illumination and good visibility for other aircraft. Also, I have read that some find the difference between the 55w and 100w bulbs relatively slight.
Ward