cjensen

Well Known Member
i just picked up a monroy atd-200 traffic detector, and wondered if there are any users out there that would like to comment on it. i've read several reviews, and all were good, but wanted some closer to home, real-world use reviews.

:)

Chad,

I have used this a couple of times in the past. Larry Collins has one, and he let me use it on my checkride a couple of years ago. It is a pretty sweet little device, and works REALLY well. All in all, I think it is worth the money for a portible device like this. If I remember correctly, you plug the thing inline with your intercom or headset, and you hear a little voice that says 'Traffic' when there is an active transponder in the vicinity.

Thumbs up from me!!

Rob

thanks rob, i knew larry had one, but forgot that he had told me about it at one point. he really likes it, if i remember correctly. i'm gonna panel mount mine, and have it wired to the intercom.

I've had a 200 installed for a couple of years in my 6A. Really useful if you are cruising in nowhereland and it goes off. You can increase your visual scan and make a radio position report hopefully having the other traffic report his position.

May have saved me once and it has scared me a few other times. I had it go off on a cross country flight one time and from the rapidly increasing voice urgency and decreasing range, it got my attention immediately. I spotted a Cessna 310 at about 1/4 mile approaching me about 30 degrees from head on, same altitude. I turned abruptly and missed him by less than 200 feet laterally. I made a call on the MF. No response. You never know what kind of fools are up there!

The ATD-300 with traffic altitude readout is a huge leap forward as this would solve many encounters which are actually no threat. I will be ordering one of these for sure for my RV10.

Last edited:
Take note that the first of the "transponder fired" traffic alert products (as opposed to the Mode S/TIS technology) has come out with DIRECTION.
http://www.aviationsafety.com/traffic_alert1.htm

Now that True Flight is offering it, I'd like to think that other companies such as Monroy will follow with similar products that add direction to the information they present. I'd be really interested to see a future "ATD 400". ;)

yeah, i would prefer the 300, but this one came to me second hand, at an unbeatable-can't-pass-this-up price, meaning free!!!

:D

Clever device... uses multiple antennas to determine phase/direction.
Only downside is that it can't be panel mounted (easily).

I've flown with the ATD-300 for more than a year as a portable unit, and it's bumped my GPS into the flight bag. For VFR flight in congested areas, it's like another set of eyes.

It does not provide azimuth, but you get to learn pretty quickly if the traffic is ahead or behind you by watching how fast the range is changing. It's not foolproof, because a biz jet could overtake you from behind at a rapid rate.. but they have TCAD, usually.

The critical information is relative altitude and closing speed. If your relative altitude is stable and more than 500 feet, you feel ok. If your relative altitude is less than 200 and there is a fast closing rate, time to be looking. If things get scary, and you can't find the traffic, change altitude.

The problem with any of these devices is that no matter how fancy the display, it only works for aircraft with transponders being illuminated by radar.
That's typical in most busy airspaces, but you can't depend on it at low altitudes, behind mountains or in remote airspace.

Having said all that, I consider my ATD-300 to be essential equipment.

Vern Little
RV-9A (in the hangar today)

I have the 200 mounted in my panel. It's always on and I like it. Occasionally it seems to be triggered by a cell tower or something, but 98% of the time it's input is helpful. :)

Trafficscope VRX

Hello,

I just bought a Trafficscope VRX unit on ebay. It seems to work great in the garage. Has anyone panel mounted this unit in their RV? If so, how does it work?

Traffic Scope VRX

I have mine panel mounted on my 7. The 7 does not have an engine yet but I did use it all the time in my C-172. I liked it soo much I had to have it in my panel on the 7.

Jeff vaughan

Dicta Boelke

cjensen said:
i just picked up a monroy atd-200 traffic detector, and wondered if there are any users out there that would like to comment on it. ................
Last summer after silently monitoring the frequency, I got a visual on my hangarmate flying his 1961 (no rear window) 172 at altitude and several miles ahead. His sports the Monroy ATD-300. I initiated an intercept to come up on his six. As a longtime C-150 owner, believe me, it is quite novel to own an airplane that can easily catch up with the average spam can. In a cloudless sky with the sun at my back and caught up in the romance of it all, my thoughts went to the ageless wisdom of "Boelke's Dicta". Anyway, as I stealthly slipped up to his tail and closed to within a few hundred feet, my finger steadied just above the gun trigger waiting...waiting.....(okay, so its really just a PTT) without so much as rocking a wingtip he calmly announced "I know that's you Rick, I've been watching you for miles." From that moment on, I knew my under-construction RV-8 will be so equipped. :p

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla" 109 hours

So what is the best Collision avoidance device?

The:

http://www.monroyaero.com/detect.html
$695.00, which seems to be the default choice.

http://www.surecheck.net/avionics/index.html
Retailers of surecheck
http://www.pilotmall.com/page/1/PROD/tcas/17868; $289 (discontinues 12/2005)
http://www.pilotmall.com/page/1/PROD/tcas/14498; $785 (discontinues 12/2005)
It seems surecheck is no longer making and collision avoidance product?

http://www.zaonflight.com/; $499,
MRX Fit form and function like Monroy but cheaper! :) know nothing of performance.
XRX is too chunky & cost $1785.00. Retailer: http://www.pilotmall.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=18020

Love to hear about your experience with any of these.
Right now the Monroy 200 or 300 seems to be a best buy?
George

Last edited:
Rick6a said:
Last summer after silently monitoring the frequency, I got a visual on my hangarmate flying his 1961 (no rear window) 172 at altitude and several miles ahead. His sports the Monroy ATD-300. I initiated an intercept to come up on his six. As a longtime C-150 owner, believe me, it is quite novel to own an airplane that can easily catch up with the average spam can. In a cloudless sky with the sun at my back and caught up in the romance of it all, my thoughts went to the ageless wisdom of "Boelke's Dicta". Anyway, as I stealthly slipped up to his tail and closed to within a few hundred feet, my finger steadied just above the gun trigger waiting...waiting.....(okay, so its really just a PTT) without so much as rocking a wingtip he calmly announced "I know that's you Rick, I've been watching you for miles." From that moment on, I knew my under-construction RV-8 will be so equipped. :p

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla" 109 hours
It is not the average spam can. It is the first airplane I have owed alone :D And yes I have countermeasures. And he wasn't that much on my six. Once I saw his mileage counting down I changed course about 5 degrees and spotted him outside of gun range. I think the Monroy ATD-300 is worth the cost. On many flights it alerts me to re-focus my attention to a different piece of sky. And as Rick said. My aircraft has no rear window, and combined with a high wing, faster traffic over taking from behind is now "seen". With you guys that would be slower traffic from below.
Craig Chipley
N7904X C-172B "fastback"

Last edited:
The new MRX supposedly has many more features than the ATD-300. It is cheaper, smaller and lighter. I'm going over to visit the factory Monday and see it in person. I'll let you know what I think.
Mel...DAR

Mrx

I looked at the MRX and it is a great unit. However, it does not tie into the audio system, rather it has a loud "speaker" integrated into the chassis. It gives two loud beeps for advisory and 4 beeps for an alert. I wanted a unit to tie into the audio system.

Used VRX units are showing up on ebay. I got one for a bit over $375. The previous owner upgraded to the ZRX unit and had mine sent to the factory for the latest upgrades.

Mel - I look forward to your analysis.