moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
For my next upgrade to throw some money at, I've decided to get rid of the Denso/Suzuki Alternator in my RV8 IO-360. I've got a G3X/G5, max load around 22 amps with everything on. Running an EarthX 900 battery and a backup battery for the avionics. I currently have a slick mag and a surefly, but the plan is to upgrade to dual Emags in the fall. I'm primarily a VFR pilot, mostly local trips or the occasional weekend away.

I was considering going with a B&C with remote regulator, but came across the Monkworkz 30a 14v system. This will be my only alternator, not a backup.

Anyone care to share their thoughts, opinions, and especially first hand experience with this setup?

TIA

The changes you mentioned look to me more like lateral moves than upgrades, don't understand your rationale.

You asked for thoughts and opinions. :)

The EarthX900 will exceed the AMP capability of the MZ30L by about 60A when discharged — will probably blow the output fuse.

OTOH - I am a huge fan of the MZ, running as my standby for > 150 hours now - love the seamless integration and 0-touch failover operation.

The changes you mentioned look to me more like lateral moves than upgrades, don't understand your rationale.

To replace a Suzuki alternator with MKZ would be an upgrade in my opinion.
If you are a VFR pilot, then I don't see anything wrong with this approach. You are already getting more than what you have had

The EarthX900 will exceed the AMP capability of the MZ30L by about 60A when discharged — will probably blow the output fuse.

I don't think that's right -- the alternator won't put out more current than it is supposed to output, assuming it is working correctly. If something goes wrong with the alternator then the fuse is supposed to blow. The size or capacity of the battery can't make the alternator produce more than it wants to.

OTOH - I am a huge fan of the MZ, running as my standby for > 150 hours now - love the seamless integration and 0-touch failover operation.
How so? The earthx only pulls what you give it, it cannot "force" more amps. I'm not sure I understand how it will overload anything?

Replacing an internally regulated chinesium alternator with a USA made, solid state unit, that saves a few pounds, is an upgrade in my book.

I run the MK30 as a backup to my B&C and it works great, I have also installed a number of them in the same capacity on panel jobs. It is a relatively new product without much history, so for me, that would be putting to many eggs in a single basket. Losing electrons with a glass panel is an undesirable situation.

I have the Monkworkz as a backup to my Hartzell Plane Power Alternator. IO-360 with SDS CPI-2 Electronic Ignition, no mags.

The Monkworkz was an easy install and the support has been excellent.

Something you may have read and should consider regarding the Monkworkz:

“At approximately 900-1000 RPM tach speed the current is limited to 15 amps. At 1800 RPM the current limit rises to 30 amps.”

Give it a try and report back.

Replacing an internally regulated chinesium alternator with a USA made, solid state unit, that saves a few pounds, is an upgrade in my book.
Ok, looks like had made your decision prior to posting……your RV. Hope it works well for you.

By the way, the SureFly/Slick mag is a great combination for your VFR RV. This setup works very nicely on my RV-6, great redundancy with two dissimilar devices.

How so? The earthx only pulls what you give it, it cannot "force" more amps. I'm not sure I understand how it will overload anything?
Just an observation of the AMPs in my setup with an Earthx900 and a 60A Plane Power — when I’ve had a poor start, and discharged the battery sufficiently, I will see >80A in the circuit, even though the alternator is only supposed to produce 60. Regulator structure in the MZ30L is different/better than the Plane Power, but …

I installed a Monkworkz on my 9a, I also have a plane and power 60amp. Since I installed the monkworkz I have not turned the plane and power on. I run monkworkz as a main and the 60Amp as a back up manually activated. I have been happy with this setup.