pvalovich

Well Known Member
I have a right wing Whelan strobe problem that I have traced to the Mollex connectors - either at the power supply or wingtip. It's been nearly 2 years - and of course I can't find my expensive Mollex pin extraction tool - nor can I recall where I got it.

Checked Stein, B&C and Avery without success. Spruce offers one - but unsure if the correct size. At one time one of the guys at IYK had a tool with multiple extraction prongs of different sizes. However, I can't find him.

Anyone have a lead for acquiring such a tool?

If you have a Fry's electronic store near you they carry them. Size is .093 if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
Digikey and Mouser are both on the Internet with parts and tools. I can fly the one I have up with extra contacts and housings if needed. Gil is correct in it being same as computer power supply.

The hardware store in Ridgecrest should have a stock of K&S brass tubing (www.ksmetals.com/). They used to have it. We keep several diameters on hand here and make purpose built extraction tools for some of the unusual connectors we come across.

Take a look at the connector pins. You will probably see two tabs extending from the pin or socket. You just need to push those back into the pin a bit while holding tension (pressure) on the pin in the direction you want it to come out of the housing. You should be able to make the tool that you need in a few minutes.

Another technique that we have used in a pinch is to use a dental pick to depress the tabs on the pins. This will usually get the job done.

Whelan connectors

Whelan kits use AMP connectors and are sometimes a Bear to get out unless you use the proper extraction tool, AMP connectors typically have the right angle notches in the plastic connector housing, Molex connectors usually have a 45 degree notch in the corners. & of course they are a bit different in diameter...
AMP & Molex terminal extraction tools are usually available at local industrial electrical or electronic supply houses.