G

Geoff

Well, I'm halfway through phase one and it's time to finish the wheel pants and intersection fairings -- even though flying is a lot more fun.

Can I get some opinions as to what type of wax and/or mold release works best to go between the modeling clay and the fiberglass?

Spray on? Wipe on? Get it from Spruce or the local hobby store? Anything else?

Thanks.

-Geoff
RV-8

I'm pretty much a novice but I've recently taken a fiber glass class (Synergy Air) and we used PVA. That's PolyVinyl Alcohol and seems to work really well all by itself. I ordered mine from Spruce and while online also ordered a can of mold wax. PVA cleans up with soap and water, you should use several coats alowing it to dry before recoat. It's a brush on.

Mold release

I get a paste from my local (tap plastics) plastic and fiberglass supplier, never had a problem with the real stuff, car wax doesn't work, had a problem with that.

I'd suggest spraying the PVA mold release on. I use an old non-HVLP touch-up gun that has been laying in the back of my tool cabinet ever since I bought a decent HVLP touch-up gun.

The as someone else says, the stuff is water-based so clean-up is a breeze. I usually spray 3-4 coats. I bought mine from Spruce.

For clay layups, I don't use any wax for mold release--just the PVA.