I have a question about the RV-12 fuel tanks with a Moeller Fuel Gage installed. Did you use a back-up plate on the inside of the tank to hold the nutplates and to distribute the load? Also, did you use the supplied gasket material or use some of the pro-seal to close-out the installation? I will be installing a blanking plate until after the final inspection. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Just did the same thing you are doing - incorporating the gauge while building the tank. I asked my EAA tech adviser about that. Considering the small diameter of the hole, the light weight of the gauge and the flange itself on the gauge, we decided no backing plate was needed. I intend to use the gasket with the cover plate and proseal the actual gauge installation (~10 minutes after the inspection...).

I used a back-up plate (.063") (and trimmed it to 1" around the opening) and proseal to install the gauge.

Fuel Tank

FP17112010A0000N.jpg

IMG_1851.JPG

Last edited:
Hydraulic pressure

One thing to consider is the hydraulic pressure in a crash. If the plane flips upside down with full fuel, there will be a tremendous pressure exerted against the top of the tank. If the fuel weighs 120 pounds and the force of the impact is 20 Gs, then there is 2400 pounds pressing against the top of the tank trying to stretch the tank skin. A reinforcing ring will help.
Joe Gores

Prefabbed tank with Moeller gauge

Has anyone installed a Moeller fuel gauge in a prebuilt tank? Thinking of a way to add one to mine.

Joe, I agree with the calculation, but at 20g deceleration from an inverted position, the pilot will have lost all interest in the integrity of the Moeller gauge and the tank :)

One thing to consider is the hydraulic pressure in a crash. If the plane flips upside down with full fuel, there will be a tremendous pressure exerted against the top of the tank. If the fuel weighs 120 pounds and the force of the impact is 20 Gs, then there is 2400 pounds pressing against the top of the tank trying to stretch the tank skin. A reinforcing ring will help.
Joe Gores