mark manda

Well Known Member
Anyone know where to get the modeling clay that doesn't set up and get hard?

I heard Sam James uses it.

thx

If you're looking for clay to make forms for fiberglass layups, green, oil based artist's clay works great. I bought a block of it years ago and it's still pliable today. Find it at an art supply store.

maybe i purchased the wrong stuff for my 7a- it was in a package and it was reddish brown and it set up after a day or so. MIchaels. it worked okay for the canopy hoop.

I need to make some intersection fairings.

the clay that is pliable for years was a greyish color that i saw.

thx for input. brian thx i'll go see what i can find.

Walmart, in the crafts department.

Dick DeCramer
N500DD RV6 flying
RV8 wings
Northfield, MN

Rivet...I've got a bunch of clay in my cabinet at the hangar. Depending on how soon you need it you can steal mine for a while.

8CW said:
How much of this stuff do you generally need for a typical RV?
None - Buy your fairings from Fairings Etc.... and save yourself days of work. They fit almost perfect right out of the box. Unless your **** bent on making them yourself 'cause you just have to. Tap Plastics has mold clay. I bought some but never used.

JonJay said:
None - Buy your fairings from Fairings Etc.... and save yourself days of work. They fit almost perfect right out of the box.

Jonjay's absolutely right. Fairings-etc.com can't be beat. Most of the self-laid ones I've seen are wavy and often don't fit well.

that's a good link or lead Rick.

I made the rounds to WalMart and Michael's again-- No Joy. small packages of the hardening stuff.

So, I ordered two 5 lb. blocks from the company selling Plastiline.

I want to hang the wings to put weight on the landing gear and then lay up all four fairings up front at the same time. Or am I am going to end up just doing one at a timet anyway?

Bob S. didn't return my email request for info. and I never got around to calling him and the plane is a Harmon Rocket so with the wider main gear fairing-- probably can't slap on a 4 or 8 set.

I hate borrowing stuff but thanks Sharpie for the offer. (shoulda borrowed it anyway. :) )

reminder to self-- new in the box Emp fairing from ETC never used on the 7A. Wonder what it's worth?

finally got the plastiline from back east-- Andy's link. thx for all the input guys.

032907057lq2.jpg

Last edited:
emp done

pop it loose on Monday and see what I have.

041407044jn1.jpg

041407043bv4.jpg

041407049ir1.jpg

clay is in place for intersection fairings

Last edited: