ryanturner

I went back and forth between the -7 and the -8 before finally deciding on a -7. I am enjoying the process of building the -7, but find myself always wishing I had started on a -8. The literature I had at the time, mentioned that the -7 was completely matched hole and the -8 fuselage only had prepunched skins. Looking at Van's website a few days ago, I noticed the entire -8 kit is matched hole. This was a major consideration for me in deciding to go with the -7, so I am giving serious thought to changing over to the -8. Also, my plan to build an IFR plane has changed as well, so the limited panel space is not an issue.

I am about 40 hours into the -7 empennage, so if I am going to make a change, the sooner the better. My big worry is that if I change to the -8, I will wish I was building a -7. Have any of you changed models after starting on another one? Did it work out well for you?

Ryan

If all you've purchased is the emp kit, then you're really not into the meat of the money. The cost to change your mind is really not much.

If you really want the 8, I say buy the -8 kit too and put the -7 parts on the shelf. You can come back and finish it later. It won't cost you much to hang on to it and it'll give you something to work on if you ever get caught waiting on parts for the 8 or waiting on money for the 8.

I've been watching for an affordable 7 tail kit, just to put on the shelf while I work on the 10.

Phil

Now is a good time to change.

I started on a -6 tail kit and when Van's came out with the -9 tail dragger, I stuffed the kit under my workbench and ordered the -9 tail.

Later I sold the -6 tail kit and never looked back.

Build what YOU want and equip the way YOU want, not the way others want you to built and equip it.

hardly mid-build at 40 hours into the empennage...

the seating configuration is so completely different between the 7 and 8 you should embrace whatever you want and move on. at this point your lost cost and time is pretty minimal...

Part Swapping...

Just a question, but can the -7 horizontal stab, elevators and vertical stab be used on the -8? I know the -8 has the small rudder so the VS tip needs to be changed, but other than the rudder, are they compatible?

I'm in the same boat

I find myself in a similar situation, except that I've finished my -7 empannage and am almost done with one wing. Still, I'm thinking about shelving the -7 and building the -12. I figure that even with my sunk time and money, I'll still be flying sooner and cheaper with the -12. Then I can work on the -7 while I'm flying and building hours with the -12, and maybe down the road sell the 12 to get an engine for the -7.

Has anyone else shelved an RV project to start the -12?

check which parts are shared

Just a question, but can the -7 horizontal stab, elevators and vertical stab be used on the -8? I know the -8 has the small rudder so the VS tip needs to be changed, but other than the rudder, are they compatible?

Many of the empennage parts have the same part numbers. You should check with Vans to be sure, but I bet some or most of what you have built will work on an -8.

My wife wanted a -7, but truthfully won't fly with me much either way. I built an -8 because its the plane I wanted. She'll still ride along. I told her if she learns how to fly, we can build a -7 together for her. We'll see.

I did it.

Ryan,

I started off building a 7 empennage because I was thinking more about potential passengers than about what I REALLY wanted to build and fly. After I completed the empennage I went for a ride in an 8 and knew I had to have one. The only thing I had to rebuild was my horizontal stabilizer. I drilled all the rivets out and was able to save my rear spar assembly. Everything else on the HS had to be done again. It wasn't bad, and it helped me get pretty good at drilling out flush rivets. My 8 just moved out of the garage today and went to the paint shop. In about a week it will be up to the hangar for final assembly.

Good luck with your choice!

Change

Ryan:

A wise old man (me!) once said " Build the airplane that you want to see when you open the hangar door.

Worked for me!!!!!!!!! I fly an 8!:D

Ryan,

I started off building a 7 empennage because I was thinking more about potential passengers than about what I REALLY wanted to build and fly. After I completed the empennage I went for a ride in an 8 and knew I had to have one. The only thing I had to rebuild was my horizontal stabilizer. I drilled all the rivets out and was able to save my rear spar assembly. Everything else on the HS had to be done again. It wasn't bad, and it helped me get pretty good at drilling out flush rivets. My 8 just moved out of the garage today and went to the paint shop. In about a week it will be up to the hangar for final assembly.

Good luck with your choice!

Did you have the old or the new -7 rudder?

Response from Vans

I got a response from Vans today:

Ryan, the only compatible sections are the Vert Stab, the Elevators and some of the internal components of the Horizontal Stab.