yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
A quick look through the manual for the Garmin GTX 327 Transponder seems to indicate that it does NOT include the "optional altitude encoder" for Mode C operation. Please tell me that I'm misssing something and that I won't have to "modify" my E-LSA -12 to get the Mode C that's virtually required in this part of the country-- not to mention spending even more money!!

Wayne Moyer
0241 N143WM

A quick look through the manual for the Garmin GTX 327 Transponder seems to indicate that it does NOT include the "optional altitude encoder" for Mode C operation. Please tell me that I'm misssing something and that I won't have to "modify" my E-LSA -12 to get the Mode C that's virtually required in this part of the country-- not to mention spending even more money!!

Wayne Moyer
0241 N143WM

Hi Wayne,

I think you will find that the D-180 provides the "altitude encoder" in the RV-12 installation.

Best regards,
Vern

Hi Wayne,

Breathe in - Breathe out....:)

You don't need a separate encoder because the Mode "C" is already wired into your pre-made harnesses and the RS-232 serial data is coming from the Dynon EFIS. The transponder and EFIS should both already be configured for these options. An encoder is not always required to drive the transponder if the air-data is being provided by an air-data computer such as an EFIS and in this case the Dynon.

Cheers,
Stein

Ahh welcome to technology

That Dynon is slicker than snot!..I use one as my main attitude indicator for flight in IMC...So much better than whizzing gyro's that roll over and try to kill for entertainment..:)

Frank

While we're on the subject...

...I'd like to know how many of you fly IFR in IMC with no steam gauge backup.

I have a GRT HX that I plan on putting in my -6A this winter. Is backup really, really essential? Panels look so much better with just glass.

Thanks,

Backup instruments

Pierre,
Backup is necessary but it does not have to be a steam gauge. How about something like this? http://www.trutrakap.com/instruments_ADI_pilot_2.htm
ADI%20Pilot%20II.jpg
The best backup is an autopilot that is completely independent from the primary EFIS. If the EFIS fails, you do not want the autopilot to go down with it. Trutrak also sells a similar instrument (ADI) without the autopilot for 1/4 the cost.
Joe

That's kinda what I was thinking, Joe..

...since I already have that (ADI Pilot II) autopilot. I also have a 496 with attitude and airspeed/altitude/XM wx.

Thanks,

Pierre, I haven't used steam gauges for backup in a a long time, 3 airplanes to be exact. I do however make certain I have a backup from a different manufacturer, that way we eliminate a software bug potentially affecting everything at the worst possble time ( the F-22's crossing the international dateline on the way to Japan brings back memories of one). I have relied on the Dynon for my Chelton and AFS installations. A good trutrak A/P is certainly sufficient if one is not doing hard IFR requiring low approaches to miminums.

Vic

Thanks, guys

I guess a pertinent question then would be, "How many of you have had a Dynon/GRT/AFS, etc fail in flight?"

Vic, I do plan on flying it IFR but not to 200' minimums anyway....500' or so, yes.

Regards,

I guess a pertinent question then would be, "How many of you have had a Dynon/GRT/AFS, etc fail in flight?"

Pierre, My Dynon failed prior to flight on a humid summer morning in Minnesota. I fly VFR with steam gauges so it did not stop me. By 11 am as the air warmed and dried it came to life while in flight (to OSH).

Pierre, My Dynon failed prior to flight on a humid summer morning in Minnesota. I fly VFR with steam gauges so it did not stop me. By 11 am as the air warmed and dried it came to life while in flight (to OSH).

John
In what way did the Dynon fail? What was the indication it had failed? ie Was it still showing attitude but attitude info was unreliable, or a warning flag, or just a blank screen, or some other indication?
John