MikeR

Well Known Member
When I left class charlie yesterday I had radar contact reporting altitude. When I returned to class charlie today, Approach said that they were not receiving my mode C. I haven't done anything other than fly the plane. Can someone point me in the right direction to look towards?

Mike,

Were you approaching busy airspace? Sometimes when I fly into the busy class C they tell me they are not "getting" my transponder which is code for, I am to busy for a VFR right now! What kind of transponder? If the antenna is the metal rod type on the belly sometimes they get all oily and that attenuates the signal enough to cause that. Check for the reply light and that the knob has not slipped on the rotating shaft and is not in the Mode C position. My old KT 76 needs a little bit of cleaning on the connector every year or so. Also try pulling the unit out and re-installing, that usually takes the garbage off the connector. If none of that is helpful we can try again.

Last edited:
Check to make sure that you have power going to the encoder and that the db connector to it is seated properly. Remove the plug and re-seat that might help.

Thanks for all of your help

My reply light was flashing, Xpnder set to ALT, etc. I recycled the Xpnder and had the same problem. I'll clean all the contacts tomorrow, clean oil off of belly, etc and then go fly it again. I just thought it was odd that it quit working so suddenly.

Thanks again,

Mike

A friend had an encoder failure in his T-18. Turned out to be a blown line fuse carrying power to the encoder.