alcladrv

Well Known Member
Oh yeah...the MOA thing. I never understood it to be an area you were required to talk in or even monitor. Should stand for Move On Along.

That's true, buuuuuut is it smart? A push of the nearest button will provide a nearby frequency for ATC or call Flight Watch, where a quick question of ," Is XXX MOA hot?", will yield the answer, even if you're not identified with ATC for flight following. Then, proceed appropriately with the most complete information about the flight, which we are required to obtain.

I, for one, would like to reduce the black eyes that we, as single-engine and/or experimental aircraft pilots, seem to get when someone acts in a way that reflects poorly on all of us, like blissfully barging through a "HOT" MOA when the info is so readily available.

Imagine your response, if a near miss occurs and you're asked to respond to the prohibitions of 91.13 or the requirements of 91.103.

Mike

Imagine your response, if a near miss occurs and you're asked to respond to the prohibitions of 91.13 or the requirements of 91.103.

And what would those be?

From www.air.flyingway.com/faa_exam/Airspace_Training.ppt

We get the question:

"VFR flight is not authorized in a MOA?
True
False (correct response)

Rationale provided:

"VFR pilots should exercise extreme caution in MOAs and contact any FSS within 100 miles of the area to obtain real-time information concerning the MOA hours of operation. Prior to entering an active MOA , VFR pilots should contact the controlling agency for traffic advisories."

From

http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/flashcards/airspace.pdf

Page 10

Military Operations Area (MOA)
Ref. AIM 3-4-5
Description
• Established to allow military training activities

Requirements/Limitations
• VFR pilots may fly through active MOAs, but are advised to exercise extreme caution

• Pilots should check with the controlling ATC facility (noted on sectional charts) for MOA status prior
to entering an MOA

Last edited:
I live smack dab in the middle...

...of Bulldog MOA and have been crop-dusting in it since it was opened, in the early 80's. Their "bottom" is 500' so I don't even pay the much attention other than watch their contrails when they "fight" and pull high G's.

We come and go on cross-countries and just watch out for them, since flight following will not talk to you when the MOA is hot. It really is no big deal.

Best,

It's not always possible to get ATC or Flight Following around MOAs in NV unless you are pretty high. I often fly through MOAs around Fallon because I am unable to get anyone on the radio, sometimes even directly over Fallon NAS (seems they often don't work weekends). I figure that if nobody at the controlling agency answers the radio (when/if I'm clearly within radio range) then the areas are probably cold. I still exercise caution, of course.

greg

Well, I think that the regulations say it best.

VFR flight into MOA's is permitted, however pilots are expected to be viligant about military aircraft when the MOA is active. And to make it easier, the times, altitude, and controlling authority data about the MOA active period is listed on the VFR Sectional Charts.

Also, as some others have already pointed out, use of Flight Following (when available) is most helpful in avoiding any MOA traffic/activities.

Or, one can fly IFR and deal with it that way.

Do Mil Aircraft Show on Zaon?

I just purchased a Zaon PCAS MRX. Does anyone know if military aircraft show on these devices? Thanks.

Military aircraft use the same transponders and will show up. The catch is that assumes they have their transponders on. Depending on the type of training and number of aircraft involved they may or may not be turned on. Also I would point out that training is often conducted below 500 feet. We often did high speed LAT training down to 100 feet. Another thing to be aware of is that is you see one aircraft in a MOA there more then likely are a bunch more nearby. We often had 36 plane strike packages in the Fallon Moa's and no one would be have a transponder on since your trying to avoid radar contact. Having been on the other side of this question many times I would not fly through a hot MOA.

George