NASA515

Well Known Member
ATTN: RV-12 Builders/Owners/Operators

Service Bulletin SB

Important RV-12 Service Information!

Be advised that Service Bulletin SB 12-11-09 has an update to the Center Section Modification and an Addendum with Supplemental Information posted to our website on 1-08-13. Please visit www.vansaircraft.com, click on Support, then Service Information and Revisions or go directly to the service bulletin section.

Note the change in torque from 110 to 220 in-lb. Step 64.

Bob Bogash
N737G
FAA Airworthiness Inspection Jan 23.

I got the email too, Bob, but haven't been to their site to check it out.

In your two posts above, were you correcting yourself in your second post, or meaning that Van's worded their info wrong?

Again, I haven't checked it out yet. But your post has me curious :confused:

confused

From an engineering standpoint if these four rivets are so important why not just add three rivets to the connection ?

And maybe a taller thicker( from .032 to .040 ) angle to include the row of rivets above.

A_12_gear_fix.jpg

Last edited:
Scott, how many revisions?

Is the change in torque the only revision or should we download the new document and read it word for word? The instructions that came in my kit have Step 64 as the new wt. & balance and don't mention anything about torque there.

Wayne 129241/143WM

Moment vs torque

Sorry for the delay responding, Gary - it's a W&B moment, not a torque - I corrected because I figured I was confusing everyone, which I did.

The Supplement seems to be mostly a series of accomplishment Tips that were gleaned off questions on this Forum and I'm sure was Scott's work - good job!

Bob
N737G

Is the change in torque the only revision or should we download the new document and read it word for word? The instructions that came in my kit have Step 64 as the new wt. & balance and don't mention anything about torque there.

Wayne 129241/143WM

As Bob already mentioned, the revision from 110 to 220 was a moment value supplied for computing a revised weight and balance, so that airplanes that had already been completed/weighed didn't have to be put back on scales to compute a revised W&B.
The numbers have nothing to due with torque values on fasteners.

I have not started my mod yet, but am curious how much material gets trimmed from the bottom wing skin?

You have to remove about 1/8" by 15". I did it with a (green) snip and smoothed it with a file and scothbrite. Took about 15 minutes.