isp335

I'm New Here
Any one know a supplier that sells MK 419 BS rivets? I want to use them to anchor my metal ribs to the spar on my trim tab but can't find a supplier. Or if anyone has any suggestions...

MK 419 BS Rivets

Only place I know to get them is from Vans. ACS has something similar, but not what you really want imho.

Regards, Merrill

I learn something every day

I didn't even know they (419) exist. I could use them because I did riveting 99% solo and some package thickness required more grip. Good luck searching.

Thanks. I have plenty of 319's but they only have a grip length of .07". Since I am using .03 ribs that I made, I need a 419 that has, I have been told, a grip length of .10".

Thanks for the help though.

The first number is the diameter and has nothing to do with grip length. A 419 would be a 9/64" rivet (an oversized 1/8"). A 319 is a 7/64" rivet (an oversized 3/32").

The first number is the diameter and has nothing to do with grip length. A 419 would be a 9/64" rivet (an oversized 1/8"). A 319 is a 7/64" rivet (an oversized 3/32").

I stand corrected. That doesn't solve my problem of needing a 7/64" blind rivet with a grip length of .10". What would you suggest?

Last edited:
Not quite Mel...

...in this case, the MK419BS seems to be an actual 1/8 rivet, not a 1/64 oversize.

The rivet specs are here --

http://www.hansonrivet.com/w18.htm

So the rivet being requested is a MK321BS for a grip of 0.091-0.110 inches.

Don't know where to get them though...:)

Would this work?

Thanks. I have plenty of 319's but they only have a grip length of .07". Since I am using .03 ribs that I made, I need a 419 that has, I have been told, a grip length of .10".

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/cherrynrivet.php

Aircraft Spruce sells a Cherry N rivet called a CCC-32. The chart in the link above shows the CCC-32 as a replacement for an MK319BS, but it has a grip length of .125".

I don't think that...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/cherrynrivet.php

Aircraft Spruce sells a Cherry N rivet called a CCC-32. The chart in the link above shows the CCC-32 as a replacement for an MK319BS, but it has a grip length of .125".

...a true 3/32 rivet - like the CCC-32 - would work as well in this application as the 7/64 rivets that Van specifies as a substitute.

The "pull" type rivets just do not expand sideways to fill up a hole like a solid driven rivet. Just look the hole created when you match a dimpled skin to a dimpled rib. The hole is actually oversize from the #40 drill after the dimpling process, and definitely does not have straight sides.

Drilling out slightly for the 7/64 diameter MD-319-BS rivet cleans up the sides of the hole and should give you a much stronger fastened joint.

Some Google hits on "MK321BS rivets" give suppliers that will give you a quote - hopefully one will have a reasonable minimum order quantity/price.

...in this case, the MK419BS seems to be an actual 1/8 rivet, not a 1/64 oversize.

Sorry, I didn't actually look up the spec. I was going by the note in the Aircraft Spruce catalog that states that "All USM "pop" rivets listed are 1/64" larger than nominal diameter."

Another possible solution...

...would be to use reduced head 1/8 diam. CherryMax rivets - as long as you have sufficient edge distance.

These are the CherryMax equivalent of the Vans "oops" solid rivets, and when you drill out the hole to #30, the hole bore sides should be nice and straight.

CR3214-4-3 would be one part number for a 1/8 to 3/16 max. grip length (the -3 part of the number)

Perhaps a CR3214-4-2 with a max. grip of 1/8 might do the job.

I'll give this a try

...would be to use reduced head 1/8 diam. CherryMax rivets - as long as you have sufficient edge distance.

These are the CherryMax equivalent of the Vans "oops" solid rivets, and when you drill out the hole to #30, the hole bore sides should be nice and straight.

CR3214-4-3 would be one part number for a 1/8 to 3/16 max. grip length (the -3 part of the number)

Perhaps a CR3214-4-2 with a max. grip of 1/8 might do the job.

`
Thanks for the help everyone. I am going to try the CCC-32 from spruce. I only need to use them on four places on the tab and use the MK 319 BS otherwise. Thanks again.

I did not have good luck with the CCC-32's, especially in dimpled holes. Search for CCC-32 on VAF, and you should see a couple threads. I still have a bunch, so could send you a few if you want to try them out.

-Rob

I did not have good luck with the CCC-32's, especially in dimpled holes. Search for CCC-32 on VAF, and you should see a couple threads. I still have a bunch, so could send you a few if you want to try them out.

-Rob

I will search on CCC-32 and read up. Thanks for the offer but I have already ordered them.:)