swixtt

Well Known Member
hey guys,
well a simple question really... just finishing off the Tail Section and i don't think i've used one of these pull rivets. so i have a few left over.
i was thinking of using two of them on the trailing-edge top rib to skin... seems like a hard place to set a solid rivet. ummm... what drill size do these use? #30 doesn't seem to do it. also, if others have used these there will the length be too much as they may interfere with each other?
what other areas were the MK-319BS used in the tail?

thanks
pete

[...] also, if others have used these there will the length be too much as they may interfere with each other?
what other areas were the MK-319BS used in the tail?

thanks
pete

I did the exact same thing on the top of the rudder. They fit but the 2nd one is a bit of a challenge. You can't put it all the way in at first. I pulled the rivet a bit then hammered it down the hole...

Then I pulled all the way.

It was tight.
DSC04433.JPG

7/64 drill is correct. I'd definitely use those pop rivets at the aft of the control surface ribs where it is too tight to buck or squeeze them. I made a mess of mine trying to buck them when building my emp kit. From then on, I vowed to pop rivet whenever I needed to rivet in such a tight spot to avoid doing more harm than good.

thanks guys for all the tips.:)
we'll do the MK's then. like i mentioned, we haven't used any of those MK's yet so we have a few to spare.

By the way, you'll find that they fit very snugly in a 7/64" hole. At first, it looks like it does not fit : just insert the rivet in the pop-rivet tool and press against the sheet using the nose piece.

Trying to insert it using my bare hands never worked!

There is always a way to drive rivets in tight spots. Don't give up so easily.

Use the handle of some small pliers to spread the rib and squeeze the rivet with a no-hole yoke. Click on the following picture for some details.

BTW, as a new builder, try doing a search when you get stuck. This has come up in the past.

Keep pounding, you will be flying soon enough.

yeah, we've tried that... unless we mod. the no hole which we didn't really want to do anymore. we've already shaved a bunch off.

we have made probably 10 different flat bars to enable in-direct backrivet setting. unless my friend hardens the steel at his shop it's too thin to rivet with. not to mention it can take about 7 hours apparently.
Smitty suggested a mod. to buck the rivet as well.

i know about the search button as well. just felt this was worth conversing about and i guess i've had poor results on my queries in the past. i will next time:eek:

The trick is to squeeze them a little, use the spring loaded center punch to push the rivet all the way down, then squeeze it the rest of the way. No problem at all.