pat

Well Known Member
Finishing my engine build which is an ECI IO360 with cold air induction but using the silver hawk (bendix) fuel inj system. According to the precision web they recommend Vans builders use the alternate rotation mixture configuration. this means the mixture shaft rotates counter clockwise from idle cut off to full rich when viewed from lever end. Im overthinking this and dreaming of FI systems. How can they make a statement covering all vans aircraft when some use levers (push on lever means pull on cable) and verneir (push=push). now Im completely befuddled as which to use. anyone have any good first hand knowledge please advise. keep is simple, my brain is full :confused:

Pat, I just went through this. I cannot speak to ALL RV's but I am building a 7A, Mattituck TMX IO-360 with the SilverHawk FI system. The issue for me was the mixture arm swings below the bottom face of the servo and as such is interfered with by the RV air box.

I asked Mahlon about it and he suggested the easy fix was a 1" spacer between the servo and the air box.. the SilverHawk is 1 " shorter than a standard carb anyway so the air box should aligh with the cowl. Perfect solution in my opinion.

On the other hand, Van's supplies a "relief plate" with the standard air box kit that can be used and will allow clerance for the arm.

Now if you use a Quadrant, it's a whole new ballgame as you say, pull will be push and push will be pull at the servo end. The question is how you route the cable at the servo end, from the rear or from the front. I havn't tried this maybe someone else can speak to this.

Take your pick, hope this helped.

Larry

Last edited:
lrfrey said:
I asked Mahlon about it and he suggested the easy fix was a 1" spacer between the servo and the air box.. the SilverHawk is 1 " shorter than a standard carb anyway so the air box should aligh with the cowl. Perfect solution in my opinion.
Larry
Actualy the SilverHawk servo body is 7/8" taller than an O-360 carb. Check the specs, you'll see.

Hummmm... Randy. I don't have the specs on the O-360 carb. I measured the height of my SilverHawk, from Sump flange to air box flange is 5 1/2 inches.

My buddy's Precision MA-4-5 carb on a TMX O-360 sitting 50 feet from mine
measures 6 3/8 inches between flanges.

Don't know what to tell you.

Larry