Brantel

Well Known Member
Is there anything wierd about the mixture on carbed RV4s that require them to be backwards from the normal?

Talking O-360 with a 10-3878 carb and Vans airbox....

I bought a carb and the original owner said the mixture arm/internals had been modified to reverse the action of the mixture because RV4's with Van's airbox required this.

Is this true?

Last edited:
Brian, mine is an O-320 but I dont think that makes any difference. Mine is made with all the standard parts. You can see it here.

Its in the cut position in the photo, but as you richen the mixture (push forward) the control on the carb rotates anti clockwise looked at from above.

Thanks,

I recently found out the facts on this carb by the people who modified it. (Aerosport Power)

The gentleman I bought it from was confused about what was modified. It was not the mixture control that was modified, instead the jet was drilled for use with an RV and the ram air induction.

Thanks for your help!

Go with it...

Brian,
The MS carb jetting shouldn't be different with the ram air or FAB. I ran ram air on my -4 for 14 years with a selectable filter for ground ops. My jetting was stock on the carb.

Smokey
HR2

PS: I will put in a plug for the Ellison TBI, works well once you get it set up with the FAB

Most people running O-360's with Van's airbox and the ram air inlet on Van's cowls say that the 10-3878 is too lean on takeoff at lower altitudes.

This is what Aerosport modified, they drilled the jet out to #32 before delivering this gentleman his new engine.

Hope this clears up what I was trying to convey.

Since I was going to drill the jet anyway, this is a bonus to find that it has already been done. I confirmed this when I changed to the new foam float last night.

Best regards,

Brian,
The MS carb jetting shouldn't be different with the ram air or FAB. I ran ram air on my -4 for 14 years with a selectable filter for ground ops. My jetting was stock on the carb.

Smokey
HR2

PS: I will put in a plug for the Ellison TBI, works well once you get it set up with the FAB

Cool...

Brian, I chatted with one of my 0-360 carb buds and he too drilled the jet, not much change for him, but like you he said it's recommended for the 180HP SL takeoff.

I'm sure it will work great for you...let me know how it flies!

Smokey
HR2