VF84Sluggo

Well Known Member
Folks,

In my new-to-me RV-8, the mixture control IMO is in a terrible location. With my shoulder harness snug, I can barely reach it. This has to change. I'm open to suggestions, don't want to just start drilling holes or something.

I don't know why the builder chose this location, as all in all, this is a great RV-8. Bronze Lindy winner.

Mixture.jpg

I am not to this point yet in my build and I am learning to start to look ahead, so, Van's doesn't have a 2 or 3 control quadrant OR recommendations for throttle, prop, mixture, or are we on our own to design our own location ?

I also recommend you also get Bunkerhill or Mcfarlane cables. The ones Vans provides are marine boat cables and hardly last past 200 hours, have alot of friction and stickiness after 50 hours. Plus replacing them is a long day of frustration.

I am not to this point yet in my build and I am learning to start to look ahead, so, Van's doesn't have a 2 or 3 control quadrant OR recommendations for throttle, prop, mixture, or are we on our own to design our own location ?
Van’s offers a throttle quadrant for RV-8s (two or three lever):
https://store.vansaircraft.com/rv-8-8a-3-lever-quadrant-anodized-engraved-ct-83f-deluxe.html

Some builders use a two lever quadrant (throttle and prop) and a vernier mixutre control. I will admit the vernier mixture is easier to use but it loosed the “cool” factor in an RV-8.

Carl

Thanks Carl, I will look into it and probably order. I am putting an order together as we speak.

I like the vernier mixture control. Plus, the thought of spending more $$$ on a new throttle quadrant makes putting up with a crappy mixture control location not quite as onerous ;)

I'm thinking that doing what Michael did is probably the solution. Thing is, it seems that a new hole in that left gear tower would need to be drilled for the mixture cable to pass through. Since I'm not the builder, drilling holes in the structure gives me pause.

Go with the quadrant that has all the controls. The -3 and -4 that I once owned were set up that way. Sure wish this builder had, too.

When I was looking at this -8 for purchase, that mixture control location caught my eye. Odd spot. Thought I could live with that location (might have to, if re-work is too much of a pita), but the more I fly the plane, the more I'm really disliking that mixture control location, very awkward reach to use it. And I'm 6', 34" sleeve. It's a long reach down there.

Go with the quadrant that has all the controls. The -3 and -4 that I once owned were set up that way. Sure wish this builder had, too.

When I was looking at this -8 for purchase, that mixture control location caught my eye. Odd spot. Thought I could live with that location (might have to, if re-work is too much of a pita), but the more I fly the plane, the more I'm really disliking that mixture control location, very awkward reach to use it. And I'm 6', 34" sleeve. It's a long reach down there.
I actually prefer the separate vernier mixture and prop controls. I agree it’s best if you can reach then while seated, but I don’t care for those 3 control quadrants. But to each their own.. I would get rid of that manual trim and heavy cable, tie in the electric trim to allow the autopilot to auto trim, and consider moving your mixture where the manual trim was..

I actually prefer the separate vernier mixture and prop controls. I agree it’s best if you can reach then while seated, but I don’t care for those 3 control quadrants. But to each their own.. I would get rid of that manual trim and heavy cable, tie in the electric trim to allow the autopilot to auto trim, and consider moving your mixture where the manual trim was..
I like that plan, especially the integrated electric trim, but that’s more re-work than I would want to tackle. I also would prefer the mic push-to-talk to be on the end of the throttle (like all the military planes/jets I flew), not a button on the stick grip. Again, beyond my skill set.

I need a place where I can drop the plane off, then come back and get it when it’s all done! :)

Folks,

In my new-to-me RV-8, the mixture control IMO is in a terrible location. With my shoulder harness snug, I can barely reach it. This has to change. I'm open to suggestions, don't want to just start drilling holes or something.

I don't know why the builder chose this location, as all in all, this is a great RV-8. Bronze Lindy winner.

View attachment 64871
Any pictures of the outside of the plane? Would love to see the whole thing!

Here you go!

Attachments

• Left Side.jpeg
    Left Side.jpeg
    730.3 KB · Views: 11
  • large_image_1902616_1_1714053099.jpeg
    large_image_1902616_1_1714053099.jpeg
    636.6 KB · Views: 10
  • LOE Fly-In Pic.jpg
    LOE Fly-In Pic.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 9
  • JW_4388 rear view adj.jpeg