kc0081

Hi all, I am installing my mixture cable and it is a bit to long. I would like to cut it to the correct length to fit my needs but there is a warning tag that states not to pull the knob out more than 3-3/8" or a steel ball will fall out.

Does anyone know if one can still cut it to length? Can one be careful and re-install the steel ball?

The part number is A-790.

Thanks for any help!

With caution, it can be disassembled and re-assmbled. However, I believe that re-sizing would require special parts and specialized crimping tools

cable

I have done this a couple times. Pull the cable out till you see the little ball about to fall out. catch it. note where it came from. Cut the other end to the desired length. Do not cut the inner rod and the sheath at the same time. Use a dremel or some thing that will cut cleanly. slide the inner rod back in and reinstall the ball. Cut the innner rod to length. install cable.

When you initially pull the knob out too far and the ball drops out, it would be convenient to have it drop onto a soft surface, carpet, etc, so it doesn't bounce away.

Cut it tooooo long at first. steep, but very short learning curve.

good luck!!

Thanks!

Thank you both for the quick help! I now know it can be done and that is fantastic. Really good advice on the padded surface to keep the ball from bouncing and loosing it. Such a great community here, it sure is an honor to be here and learn so much from everyone.