MarkW

Well Known Member
Friend
Standard 0-320 carb engine. The mixture cable broke. It is in full rich. I am wondering if these carbs have a return spring on the mixture arm?
Is it possible to go lean in flight or does a spring keep it rich?
Is it a safety issue?

Standard 0-320 carb engine. The mixture cable broke. It is in full rich. I am wondering if these carbs have a return spring on the mixture arm?
Is it possible to go lean in flight or does a spring keep it rich?
Is it a safety issue?

I don't think it's safe unless it's actually secured in the full-rich position with safety wire or something. And even then it isn't very safe.

Never saw one with a spring on it.

Attach a good cable before next flight.

Might be acceptable to tie it full rich for one flight home, but you would have to kill it with the ignition.

I have seen Cubs with a spring on the mixture arm in case the cable breaks. Would seem like good insurance to me. Not sure if they installed these springs themselves or if they came that way.

I have a spring connected to the mixture arm. Just some added protection just in case the cable breaks and mixture goes to full lean in flight. I have never tested it.

Thanks for the comments. I would have thought this would be something that had a spring. Since maybe not, the plane is grounded until the cable shows up Tuesday.