LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I noticed something interesting the other day. One of the drawings for engine installation (weak as they are from Van's) mentioned seeing OP-22 for the connection for the throttle cable. I looked at OP-22 and then ordered the throttle cable attach kit from Van's.

The components that come with the kit aren't the same as those called out on OP-22. The rod end bearing is the same, small steel washers are the same, but different bolt size. And OP-22 calls out for a cotter pin assembly; the throttle attach kit does not. OP-22 has a spacer you make, the small sketch that comes with the throttle kit (for IO-360) does not.

I went with what OP-22 called out and the throttle cable seems to work fine.

But OP-22 also calls out some sort bellcrank contraption for the mixture cable and that doesn't make sense to me. My engine is a vertical induction so , really, all we're talking about is a separate arm on the other side of the fuel servo. Why not just use the same hardware that's used for the throttle cable attachment - a rod end bearing, two small steel washers, a AN-12 bolt, castle nut, cotter pin etc?