DFlyer

Well Known Member
This might be of interest for those planning to add a Garmin moving map to an EFIS product.

Dynon recently had a customer try to interface a Garmin GDU 375 to a Dynon EFIS to drive the HSI and autopilot. Their assumption was that the GDU would have the same output as a Garmin 696 since they are based around the same software and hardware.

However, we found that the GDU cannot drive the HSI on the EFIS. This is because the GDU units do not output as much data over the serial ports as do the Garmin 696/695 products.

So if you are considering a Garmin GDU as a "panel mount 696," please be aware that in terms of interfacing with other equipment, the GDU units are less functional and a 696 may be a better option for you.

Here are the serial data out details:

696, 695, GDU 375, GDU 370 common outputs:

RMC - NMEA Recommended Minimum Data (Lat, Long, Date, Speed, Direction)
RMB - NMEA Recommended minimum navigation information (CDI, bearing, no course, no flight plan)
PGRMH - Garmin Proprietary Aviation Height and VNAV Data
PGRMZ - Garmin Proprietary Altitude

696, 695, additional outputs:

GGA - NMEA Global Positioning System Fix Data
GSA - NMEA Satellite status
GSV - NMEA Satellites in view
GLL - NMEA Geographic position, Latitude and Longitude. Time
BOD - NMEA Bearing - origin to destination waypoint
BWC - NMEA Bearing and distance to waypoint - great circle
VTG - NMEA Track made good and ground speed
XTE - NMEA Cross track error, measured
WPL - NMEA Waypoint Location
APB - NMEA Autopilot format B
PGRME - Garmin Proprietary Estimated Error Information
PGRMM - Garmin Proprietary Map Datum

-Robert
Dynon Marketing

Uh Oh . . . . . . .

. . . . . Well, I guess my GDU-375 will become my really expensive XM weather display. :( So - when is all the flight plan stuff going to be working on the Skyview?

FYI, the above information does not apply to GDU 37x software version 4.00 or later, available here.

mcb