MacPara

Well Known Member
I am wondering if anybody else had this issue. I was working on the installation of the baffles in the fuel tank on 37-03, noticing a remark in figure 1 telling me to place a NAS1149FN432P (aka AN960-4) washer underneath the shop head of the pop rivet in the top location of the front and left flange of the baffles.
I was going through the inventory list of the bags multiple times but couldn't find an entry for the NAS or AN nomenclature that would have told me that there even was one of those washers in the bags. Unfortunately, there weren't any left from the stall warner either. The page has a revision that still shows this remark, so this is either a mistake or Van's forgot to put the item in a bag or it's a mystery.
The reason for this washer is obviously to disperse the load of sloshing fuel from the upper baffles rivet location over the a larger area on the flange, so I ended up manufacturing a washer from a scrap aluminum bracket to do just that.

Missing Washers

I am showing there should have been 6 AN960-4L washers in Bag 2776-1 - 4 of these would have been used on 31-02 Step 4 leaving 2 for the fuel tank.

Look alikes?

These little buggers look a lot like some of the other washers. Did you maybe miss that there was a difference and mix them in with the others? That is quite possible. Don't ask me how I know:eek:

I am about to start my tank as well, and found that in the wing kit, bag 2618-1 I believe, there is a supply of those washers. I am done with my wings, and there are plenty in there for the tank job.

Yes, I have those AN960-4L washers. The plans for the tank ask for the AN960-4 type though. I'd think they'd omitted the 'L' in error if they didn't ask for NAS1149FN432P - the -4l would have the 416P suffix. And there's no way for the builder to know that there might be two -4L washers left over. Maybe they're needed somewhere else?
Anyway, I think that's the first time I encountered a part being referenced that wasn't part of the kit yet.

And to answer John's question: I could have thrown them together with other washers and therefore not able to find them. However, I would expect to find them listed in the bags' list of contents then and that's where it fell apart. They are not listed, were not inventoried and there are none left over from previous subkits as I keep all these hardware items in the same sorter box.
The ones that Don found from his wing kit were probably meant for the stall warner. For some reason I got as many washers as I had to use there.

Maybe our kit contents are different Torsten. As you can see I got plenty of BOTH of them, some of each are left over. I have not gone back over the uses to see how many were called for, but then I did not count them originally anyway, so who knows, I found extras of many of such items?
2nvzfbb.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Ahhhh! Now the mystery is partly resolved. In my wing kit there was a bag 2618 (not -1) and it contained 16 of those washers, which is exactly what I must have used. Regardless though, Van's shouldn't rely on left overs from other subkits and just provide what is supposed to get used the in the actual subkit.
Anyway, seems others didn't care to put the washers in or just used some -4L instead.