dweyant

Well Known Member
Help please!

I'm just starting to work on the Fusealage kit, and I'm having some "issues" with the firewall.

Specifically I can not find an reference to a few parts.

F-601C (Spacer)
F-601G (Gusset)
F-601H (Gusset)

I can't find any reference to them in the parts list, and I can't find any drawings that show I need to fabricate them. None of the builders sites I usually check mention anything unusual about them, so that makes me think I'm missing something simple.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Dan

Welcome to the fuselage section of the build, where instructions really start to disappear from the manual. :) A lot of the information is now just on the drawings, so be sure to really read every single notation.

I don't recall having to fabricate these small spacers, but they are shown on DWG 19. It isn't unusual to find small pieces like these in some of the paper bags, or maybe Van's missed these in your kit inventory? If you can't locate them, just call Van's and tell them they are missing from your inventory and they will send replacements out.

If you are going to go with Fuel Injection on the engine, you can eliminate the Aux Fuel Pump Doubler. I also ended up getting rid of the brake bracket when I added a parking brake to my brake system. Don't drill any of the firewall penetrations until you have the engine/prop figured out. The exception would be the 2" hole for the cabin heat. Much easier to cut this out now.

Welcome to the fuselage section of the build, where instructions really start to disappear from the manual. :) A lot of the information is now just on the drawings, so be sure to really read every single notation.

I don't recall having to fabricate these small spacers, but they are shown on DWG 19. It isn't unusual to find small pieces like these in some of the paper bags, or maybe Van's missed these in your kit inventory? If you can't locate them, just call Van's and tell them they are missing from your inventory and they will send replacements out.

If you are going to go with Fuel Injection on the engine, you can eliminate the Aux Fuel Pump Doubler. I also ended up getting rid of the brake bracket when I added a parking brake to my brake system. Don't drill any of the firewall penetrations until you have the engine/prop figured out. The exception would be the 2" hole for the cabin heat. Much easier to cut this out now.

Bruce, thanks found them!

The where hiding in the big bag with all the hardware and rivets.

Nothing on the parts list, and of course no part numbers on the parts....

Thanks for the tip on the fuel pump doubler, I was just getting ready to start working on that, guess I'll skip it :).

-Dan

Another FW tip ...

When it comes to cutting the larger holes (1/2"+) in the firewall, see if you can borrow "Rotabroach" or similar cutters from someone. They cut thru the stainless like the proverbial hot knife. Even the 1" and larger holes take about 5 sec ea. Also far less deburring than other methods.

list of parts to fab

After a couple head scratching searches for part info, i checked every drawing and created a spreadsheet of all fuse parts that needed to be fabricated and were in the kit was the raw stock to use. Drop me an email and I'll provide. Wiederaj at yahoo dot com.

Good luck