Status
Not open for further replies.

rswalden

Well Known Member
Friend
Can someone please point me to a Garmin support forum that is similar to Dynon's excellent open support forum?

I see Garmin reps posting new product information on our site, but can't seem to find an open forum to discuss the problems & issues associated with their products.

Example:
I posted this entry today on Dynon's site:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=102328&highlight=796
and received an immediate helpful reply on Dynon's forum from a tech support rep. In fact, the problem was with the Garmin product, not the Dynon one.... yet Dynon still offered helpful advice.

The only way I've found to discuss Garmin products is via non-public, direct email to their tech support shop.

Why is that?

I have seen a number of garmin problems posted on these forums. G3xpert answers pretty rapidly. Why do they need a separate forum when this one exists and works just fine.

They don't have a unique forum. They actively participate on this forum and many more forums all over the Internet.

Steve, Matt and others at Garmin scan these threads daily and typically respond quickly and are always ready to help.

G3XPERT has 381 post on this forum. Most of them are supporting their products. A few are product announcements but the majority are support related. That does not even count the posts these guys have made with their own personal accounts.

I watched your video. Not sure why the Dynon is spewing so much interference but even if you forget about that...when you turned off the Skyview, I noticed that your signal was still not what I would call normal for a 796 with a remote antenna. Typically when I ran my 796 with the remote antenna, I would have almost 100% signal on all of the bars almost all the time. The GPS in the 796 is very sensitive. I am betting something else is amiss here....

Last edited:
I sent G3Expert an email at 7pm this past saturday and he answered it within 15 minutes. Their tech support phone line is also open 7am-7pm and it's not some tech guy reading out of a manual...Garmin tech support know what they are doing. I had an issue that I thought was a config problem between the G3x and GTN650...chased it for a while then called tech support. In about a minute he had it diagnosed to a wire out of place....I pulled the plug and sho-nuf, he was right. Popped the pin out, moved it over and voila. If you can't get tech support from Garmin...you're not trying.

Last edited:
Good Morning Bob,

We saw your posting yesterday declaring the 796 was at fault for interference caused by this display, and we have been discussing this internally.

Please email or call and we will work with you to resolve.

Thanks,
Steve

I sent G3Expert an email at 7pm this past saturday and he answered it within 15 minutes. Their tech support is open 7am-7pm and it's not some tech guy reading out of a manual...Garmin tech support know what they are doing. I had an issue that I thought was a config problem between the G3x and GTN650...chased it for a while then called tech support. In about a minute he had it diagnosed to a wire out of place....I pulled the plug and sho-nuf, he was right. Popped the pin out, moved it over and voila. If you can't get tech support from Garmin...you're not trying.

Agree 100%, the support from Garmin and the G3X guys is phenominal. I've called and emailed them many times, on the phone I've always been able to talk to someone knowledgable with no "holding" and emails have been answered within hours (minutes sometimes) even on the weekends and after hours.

A dedicated forum would be nice but mainly as a place to search for previous issues, this could save you from the embarassment when you figure out how you screwed up :eek:

One thing I have come to realize is that whoever wrote their manuals really is a genius. Every time I've called tech support, the answer was already in the manual...I just didn't find it. I recently put the manuals in my iPad's IBook....which makes them searchable and makes them a far better resource than the 500 page book in your lap.

Good Morning Bob,

We saw your posting yesterday declaring the 796 was at fault for interference caused by this display, and we have been discussing this internally.

Please email or call and we will work with you to resolve.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks, Steve. I'll give you a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.