CPSONE

Well Known Member
Looked at the plans (more thoroughly) Drawing 27A and the bottom hinge bracket VS410PP has different rivet / bolt holes for the 7 VS 7A. After looking at my VS (building a 7A) that is completed I noticed I forgot to put in those two bottom corner rivet holes and it's now all riveted together. DWG 27A shows 426AD4-7's in this location, flush head forward. I'm not the first to do this as I've found looking at builder's sites so questions is what have other's done?

I missed those as well. It's an easy fix. I used a pair of calipers to measure the location of those holes in the upper bracket, then marked and drilled them on the bottom bracket. The holes lined up perfectly.

Here's me riveting the brackets in place originally. Nooo Andy!!! Stop!!! You forgot to drill the holes in the lower bracket!

Oh well...

RV-9A%252520027.JPG

Build Manual

If you reference the build manual page 6-4, it states you will drill these later with the fuselage.

This gives you time to make the decision on which you build.

Due to the fact that these parts are riveted together and nice and tight together, drilling them for the corner rivets later will result in a clean hole through all the parts with no chips in the middle. Just take your time when drilling.

You can then countersink the forward face of the spar and debur the hinge bracket and smash away.

Hope that helps.

Missing rivets

Thanks for the help. I've emailed Van's to get their answer as well.