G-force

Well Known Member
Is this typical or did I just get the set made on a bad day? Rudder rod end pivots are screwed in per the plans. Horizontal gap between the VS and rudder counterweight arm is even so I am sure the rudder is straight. I've already filled the VS tip with flox and some fiberglass mat, I'm planning on just sanding it down to be even with the ruder tip. Comments?
gap.jpg

If this is the worst problem you encounter with the tips, you'll be in pretty good shape. My rudder tip was a good 1/8 too short in the other direction -- creating a huge uneven gap with the VS. Modifications were necessary...

If you haven't already drilled the tip to the metal, can you pull it out from the rudder a little to make things line up, then fill in the joggle area with some micro?

Mine was the same way. I could have left it that way, but didn't want to.

I wouldn't have had enough edge distance on the rivets if I raised the rudder tip, so I just sanded the top of the rudder tip through the gel coat and then built it up with epoxy and micro. I then sanded it to the proper contour. If have some concerns about the micro letting go and peeling. If I had it to do over again, I would do the same thing but then cover it with a layer of very thin (1.75oz) cloth. You can get more details from the empennage, tips section of my website, but here's some photos.

14839116514442f44783d89.jpg

1087639758444c3ffe61f76.jpg

132162900844711a04bc803.jpg

Good luck!

Guy