Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
This is pretty trivial, but maybe I'll save someone a little frustration some day...

I stopped at a neighboring airport for a break during a test flight last week - thought I'd have a burger. I was a little nervous leaving the plane on the ramp unsecured, and was going to tie it down when I realized "Doh! No tie-down rings!. Lesson number one - buy some rings - they're not in the kit!

So I ordered them from Avery, and htey came in one day. Eagerly, I went to screw them in, only to discover (Lesson number 2) that the tie-down fittings were never tapped! I guess I figured that since Van's Quickbuilders did everything else to finish that part of the wing....oh well...

Now I have to drill and tap them lying under the wing, so Quick-builders - do them while they're still on the rack!

22.5 Flight Hours, and still lots of lessons to learn....

Paul

Let me tell you how sorry I am that you have to drill and tap those pesky tie down rings!!! Can you sense the slow builders grumbling? :D

drill and tap?

Paul,

I have the standard build wing for the 8 and did NOT have to drill and tap the pieces used for the tie down rings. My guess is possibly they were installed upside down when the wing was built (I don't recall if they were threaded all the way through the bar or not, it has been awhile). My only point being just be sure of what you are drilling and tapping before you do it.

Jim

no tap on RV9A

Paul: exact same thing happened to me. however, i had the tie down rings and wondered why they wouldn't screw into the ~$*&#@dang holes. They worked alot better after I tapped them. RV9A QB. jack

Tie downs

I had to tap the tie-down fittings on my 7A wing - slow build - how did Jim get them already tapped?? :confused:

Dennis Glaeser
(finishing the second tank)

What? Yours came tapped!?!

No way... you musta had too much to drink that night! :p

I can think of several kits (including mine) that needed tapping!

...but I did just get off the phone with Wicked Stick and he said that there was a rumor of some kits being already tapped.

Seems I heard that back in the days of old, builders had to *gasp* cut a double long piece in two! Now, as you know... they come cut to length from Van.

Mebbe yours were tapped? If you say so...

:D CJ

wellllll, maybe its been tooo long

You know,

Now that I think about it, I may have had to tap them.........it really has been awhile..........and I guess I forgot..........sorry guys!

Jim

Mine came tapped

7-1183 QB came with the wing tie down receivers tapped. There were other errors, but not that one.

Hahahaha,

Well it is now conclusive!

All of some might have come tapped. The rest were definately not tapped!

:D CJ

My theory: Van is cheap to a fault (or that's the rumor, anyhow). They probably started tapping them. At some point, the tap broke....

:D