N363RV

Well Known Member
I got my Minix initially installed back in late June. It was super easy and quite functional with essentially 2 wires.

Here in Texas the weather has cooled off lately and it seemed like a good time to finish the rest of the install.

I have 2 tasks left.

1. Installation of the remote magnetometer which I will do on saturday.

2. Hook up the Garmin 430W. I tried to do this task today, I thought it would be the easy part, because it is essentially one wire and a few configurations. I already know where the Arinc Out from the garmin is because it is hooked up to the HS34 (Dynon) and working just fine.
So I tapped into the wire and hooked it up to serial1 and configured the min for GPS2/Mapcom. I did try GPS1/Mapcom, but it disabled the primary built in GPS. The EFIS complained that it could not detect data on that serial line (serial line 1). I tried it on the second serial line with the same results. I ran the tests with the wires unhooked from HS34 just to make sure that they were loaded down, but it didn't matter. It still didn't detect.
I tried several baud rates but I left it on 9600.

Anybody who has successfully...
1. Installed the MiniX and
2. Connected their Garmin 430W via the arinc 429 pin(s).

I would like to hear about any issues you had to work thru or tricks you think would be helpful to get the garmin talking to the GRT.

The main reason I want to get this working is to have the MiniX automatically pickup the flight plan from the 430.

Thanks

John

As I understand it, you cannot use a serial cable for ARINC, they are two different protocols.

According to the documentation, the Mini X does not have ARINC capability, only the Mini AP has this. There is a separate connector on the back of the Mini AP case for the ARINC wires.

Drag...

Thanks Mark. I really had it in my head that it was built into the minix. Oh well..

Confusing post. ARINC protocol uses pair of wires, not ground for a return.
Serial (RS232) uses one wire plus a ground return.
the 430 has four possible serial ports.

I was confused.. :)

Bob.. your right. It was a confusing post. You are correct that arinc is a 2 wire thing. I was a little confused at the time I wrote the post.

For future readers, the final takeaway is that the MiniX does not have arinc capability. The Mini-AP has it. http://www.grtavionics.com/mini.html

The good news is I was able to use the serial line from the 430w and read the aviation data in the MiniX. That is really nice. I am now able to see the flight plan I have in the garmin on the GRT. The main thing to remember is that the garmin's baud rate is 9600.

http://www.grtavionics.com/GNS430SupplementA2.pdf