Stewie

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all-
I am currently aligning the left wing aileron and flap. In contrast to others who seem to have issues with edge clearance on the supplied hinge, my flap is actually about 1/8" longer (chordwise) than my aileron and needs to be brought closer to the wing. I am curious if anyone can see any problem with butting both flap and wing skin up against the rolled edge of the hinge in order to minimize my wing/flap gap and thus bring the flap into trailing edge alignment with the aileron? Doing so gives a 5/32 gap (vs 1/4" per plans) and actually gives me better edge distance. The other option is to trim approximately 1/16 from the lower flap skin (but that would obviously take more time!)

Your sage advice much appreciated...
Eric

Eric,

Do not trim skin. Do align with aileron, using long straight edge.
Then look at your distances. If you get it too tight it is hard
to get pin out and causes binding.
Align aileron with alignment holes in last rib and secure. That
is your starting point.

Hope it helps.

I did mine as you are suggesting

I never even considered leaving a gap (OMG). As bruce says getting the pin in and out took some creative thinking but I actually have the end of mine formed in a loop and positioned so it can be secured by the aft screw (round head) tying the lower wing skin to the bottom of the fuselage (RV-6A). The flaps align with the ailerons both trailing edge end view vertically and plan (top) view for and aft.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Flap Hinge Pin

When you do decide how you want to position the flap, you might want to consider splitting the hinge pin. Much easier to install. A lot of builders do this. Here is a pic of how I secured my split hinge pin. Remove a few hinge loops from the center position. Add a nutplate. Easy and secure.

24qv7u1.jpg