Mohammed

Patron
Hi,

Do I have minimum edge distance?

BJ0QEfTCIAMcm4r.jpg

I noticed when fitting right main rib HS-405 between the aft spar HS-603, front spar HS-702 and skin the rib will not get all the way inside the front spar flange.

BJ0SnhDCAAEHFvt.jpg

BJ0TWeoCAAAWDqy.jpg

When I went back to the left 405 rib which is already drilled as in the 1st picture. What should I do with already drilled on and the one yet to be drilled

Regards,
Mohammed

Doesn't look like it.

In picture 1, the hole in the background on the right, doesn't look like it does. Maybe it's just the angle of the picture?

Don

Minimum ED shoulld be 2D (2x rivet dia) so you should have .25" ED on a 1/8" rivet. As a side note quite often 1.5 ED would be "approved" in non critical applications which would be .1875 in this case. Don't forget ED is from the center of the hole to the edge.

Thank you guys for your help. I emailed Van's Support and they told me to carry on building and this place is expected to have MED.

But when I drilled the top hole in the HS 405 main rib fwd flange (you can see it below the cross line in pic#3) through the fwd spar and reinf. angle it ended up near the edge of the angle.

Now I have to replace the fwd spare HS702 right half, the rib 405 and the angle 810-1 and almost rework the whole right side and part of the left side of the stab :(

Mohammed,
I just did exactly the same thing and decided to replace the misdrilled parts. For me in California they got here in 2 days. You might have a bit more lag time.

Just consider it a learning experience. The replacement parts are very reasonable.

Blain