Stewie

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all-
I am in rented shop/hangar and will need to move out by August. Based on projected RV4 build time and my weekly shop hours, I will be cutting it close. I am curious if you all can give me some advice on what can be reasonably foregone in order to get the plane inspected/in the air so that I do not have to trailer it out? (I searched VAF on this topic but didn't find anything - please redirect me if this has been answered elsewhere). I will have plenty of free time after the move to sew things up.
Thanks everyone!
Eric

Hard to understand your question. What are you asking?

If your "schedule" says you are cutting it close, my prediction is that you won't make it.
I've been building and inspecting amateur-built aircraft for over 30 years, and rarely, if ever see one finished "on schedule".

Hi Mel-
Thanks for your question. To clarify: I have told the owner of the shop I will be out by late summer. I am working full time on the plane, and consistently log 40-50 hours per week. I understand that some RVs are "never done", but based on Van's 2000-2200 hour build time, and that I am sticking to the plans with minimal mods, I feel like I can guess a rough finish date. If avoiding painting, or wheelpants, etc.would move my finish time up even a few weeks, that would be significantly helpful.
Hope that clarifies the question, and thanks for your input.
Eric

So, what is the current status of the plane???

It is pretty hard to give any answers to your question unless we know if you just opened the shipping crate yesterday, or have it on its wheels, and the engine mounted ----- or somewhere in between.

Photos would be nice

Where are you in the build process?

Hi all-
I am in rented shop/hangar and will need to move out by August. Based on projected RV4 build time and my weekly shop hours, I will be cutting it close. I am curious if you all can give me some advice on what can be reasonably foregone in order to get the plane inspected/in the air so that I do not have to trailer it out? (I searched VAF on this topic but didn't find anything - please redirect me if this has been answered elsewhere). I will have plenty of free time after the move to sew things up.
Thanks everyone!
Eric

To clearly estimate the time from where you are and when it'll be an RV-4, one would need specifics.

So--- what's done and what needs to be done?

Hard to understand your question. What are you asking?

If your "schedule" says you are cutting it close, my prediction is that you won't make it.
I've been building and inspecting amateur-built aircraft for over 30 years, and rarely, if ever see one finished "on schedule".

Heed what mel said. Several times I would tell folks I would be ready by S&F or Airventure only to watch the event date slip by and not be finished.

You can't control UPS, FedEX, weather, parts availability , part quality and your own screw ups all areas in which delays are inevitable.

I also would caution against "minimal preparation" or minimal build requirements. Over build, over prepare and give scheduling deadlines the lowest of all priorities.

You probably wouldn't go to a doctor who advertised that he provided "the minimum standard of care" As a DAR I would not approve a plane that had minimal preparation fro my visit and would not fly in one that was a minimal build all for the sake of a schedule.

Whatever your schedule add 6 to 9 months, build it complete, and over prepare for the inspection. If this involves moving a partial project to a new location then build that into your schedule.

You will be rewarded with a well built safe aircraft.

For an inspection, the aircraft has to be ready for flight.

Paint, wheel pants, and gear leg fairings are not required to be done.

For the minimum equipment that has to be installed and working, see FAR 91.205. So, for example, if you leave off the strobe lights and the nav lights, that's okay but you obviously can only fly day until such time as the installation of the required equipment.

I can imagine a scenario or two that when you would add equipment or make changes later, you might have to notify the FSDO and put the aircraft back in Phase I for a period of time.

Dan

Sorry, I don't think I did a good job of posing my question. I'm less interested in estimating remaining build time than in minimizing it so that I can ferry the airplane to my next destination as early as possible.

For what it's worth, I am at 600 hours and finished with the empennage and left wing.I will have a helper later in the build for firewall forward and wiring.

This question came to mind as I was finishing up the wingtip lights. I realized that was something I perhaps could have left until after first flight and saved myself a few days of fiberglass/installation work (I have the old style tips so fabricating/installing lenses took a bit of time.

To word the question another way: what can be left undone until after inspection? What is "bare bones" safe for flight?

Hope that helps. Appreciate everyone's input.
Eric

Personally I would probably refuse to inspect an airplane under these conditions. I've seen too many "hurried" or "minimum to get by" builds. The end result is never a good outcome. Take your time and do it right, even if it means trucking to another airport.

For what it's worth, I am at 600 hours and finished with the empennage and left wing.I will have a helper later in the build for firewall forward and wiring.

To word the question another way: what can be left undone until after inspection? What is "bare bones" safe for flight?

Hope that helps. Appreciate everyone's input.
Eric

Plan on the trailer......... You have at least 2000 hours to go. But only have about 1000 work hours till Aug. 1. Finish the other wing then move before you jig up for the fuselage. Wings are easy to move.

The DARs have spoken

Thanks to everyone (and especially the DARs) for input on this. Consensus seems to be finish everything up properly for the final inspection, so I'll plan for that and adjust moving plans accordingly.

I'd like to throw out a final question for the DARs: I see quite a few planes on this site making first flights with no paint and no LG fairings. In light of the above comments, would you be averse to doing a final inspection on such a plane? Just curious.

Cheers,
Eric

Thanks to everyone (and especially the DARs) for input on this. Consensus seems to be finish everything up properly for the final inspection, so I'll plan for that and adjust moving plans accordingly.

I'd like to throw out a final question for the DARs: I see quite a few planes on this site making first flights with no paint and no LG fairings. In light of the above comments, would you be averse to doing a final inspection on such a plane? Just curious.

Cheers,
Eric

Many, many RVs make first flight with no paint or gear fairings. Matter of fact, leaving fairings off is recommended when breaking in a new engine during Phase One.

But the plane needs to be ready for safe flight--ferrying a plane that isn't equipped for Phase One is a bad deal even it you can find a DAR that will sign off on it. Take the time necessary to enjoy your build, finish things as you go, and rent a truck. :)

Last edited:
Like Sam says, many, if not most amateur-built aircraft first fly without paint and/or wheel fairings. But the airplane should otherwise be completed.