flytoday

Well Known Member
After extensive work to my -6A I'm restarting my O-320 D1A. The cylinders were re-assembled as-is.

My question is about Mineral Oil. Going from Constant Speed to Fixed pitch I'm getting a plug installed in the forward end of the crankshaft. It isn't sealing yet, so I'm leaking Mineral Oil. After the rebuild Aviation Mineral Oil was used to fill the crankcase.

While I am doing ground run-ups do I need to keep adding Aviation Mineral oil to maintain 6 quarts? Would any mineral oil (i.e. automotive) work while I troubleshoot the leak?

Thanks!

Carl

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I'll check rear plug status with the rebuilder!

I appreciate that you all look at the overall situation and help a rookie troubleshoot.

Carl

See what others said about the rear plug.

Ask the engine rebuilder / overhauler about the oil. I would keep using what they recommended or put in it till it is time to change it.

ECI recommends Phillips X/C for break in and all operation. I like to use Phillips 20-50M for break in before switching to X/C.

Penetrating the Rear Plug

Finally got assistance, tools, advice and the nerve to attack penetrating the rear plug, in this project to convert from Constant Speed to Fixed Pitch on my O320.

Also this SB:
http://www.lycoming.com/Portals/0/t...Fixed Pitch Propeller and Vice Versa; ....pdf

The rear plug is approx. 7 inches deep into the crank, from the forward edge of the crank.

I used a long 1/8th drill bit and a very slow drill technique. Repeatedly coated and cleaned off a heavy dab of grease, capturing tiny particles (fine like grains of sand). Great help from Mark, whose building his own RV7.

5d37afdcb545129e448a28295f7c7990_zps74ccf78c.jpg

After drilling the hole another plug installed on the crank's end, engine run, and NO LEAKS! It's a good day!

Carl