NYTOM

Well Known Member
Would the mounting strip be located between the firewall and outside skin or should the firewall be in between the outside skin and mounting strip. Seems like having the strip riveted on the extreme inside would give better spacing so the cowl would be flush with the skin. Just wondering what you guys did. My hand drawn print only show hinges and mentions spacers to better make the cowl flush.
Remember now this is one of those obsolete sixes and my prints are REALLY crude.:D

I think I even added that little 0.020 strip that the plans call for.. (so firewall is sandwitched along with this "doubler" strip inbetween the mounting strip and the top skin)

Camlock Strip Install Question

I'm no expert on this, but what I did seemed to work out pretty well on my older non punched 6 with the old plans.

I installed my camlock mount strips under the firewall lip, but added some aluminum spacer material between the strip and the firewall angle to lower the camlock mount strip a little deeper.

This was necessary because I had prior to that reinforced (and therefore thickened) the rear cowling edge in that area with some fiberglass to stiffen it, to avoid puckering, then sanded it smooth. I measured it with a micrometer and calculated the thickness of the spacer needed to "lower" the cowling edge into spaced mounting strip and end up with a flush (or very slightly high) joint at the top skin. Using some scrap would work just as good to figure out the spacer thickness.

It did take a little longer rivet to make up the thicker "sandwich" of top skin, firewall angle, spacer, and mounting strip, in that order.

Of course if you decide not to thicken the cowling you may or may not need a spacer to mate up the surfaces.

Is that clear as mud?

Mike Bauer
RV6 N918MB Phase I

That makes sense

I think I even added that little 0.020 strip that the plans call for.. (so firewall is sandwitched along with this "doubler" strip inbetween the mounting strip and the top skin)

That is what seemed right to me. I tried putting it between the firewall and skin but it seemed to push the skin out too far and destroy the natural curve of the fuselage.:eek:
Thanks Radomir

Milspec Strip Installation

Radomir you the man. How are my fittings working out for you?

And you are welcome Tom.

Mike Bauer
RV6 N918MB Phase I