RV Wannabe

Well Known Member
I had this in the military scheme and respect thread but decided that it was too much of a thread drift (disrespectful).

Granted if I were to paint an RV in honor of my Uncle with his blessing I would not consider resale value myself. However being in the market and having rigid personal opinions on not flying an airplane with a military scheme without a veterans direct and personal blessing to fly their scheme I find myself bypassing viable candidates.

How many people paint a military scheme with the thought of the affects on resale value?

Thanks
Mark

ownership

Well, it's my plane and I will paint it as I see fit. But, if I want to use a scheme from a particular WW2 ship (not a generic sqdn 'copy'), I would ask the vet hisself, or his family, if my plan would be OK. In fact, that's what I did.
I think it turned out well.
If the next owner doesn't like it, they can paint over it! Right, Doug?:D
Carry on!
Mark

No effect on resale.
Like the boss said do what YOU want and the new owner can
do what he wants.

We've done more sets of stars/bars and other military schemes in vinyl graphics for guys that we've lost count. By that measure, they are quite popular.

Another thing to consider is that the vinyl graphics are removable. Thus, if the new owner doesn't like them, he is probably ahead of the game because he might be staring at a nearly bare RV after peeling off the vinyl!

I'd say that 75% of our graphics customers say something like "Well, if the next guy doesn't like this scheme he can peel 'em off."

YMMV

Never enter their mind I suspect

How many people paint a military scheme with the thought of the affects on resale value?

The paint scheme is the most personal of choices and resale value is probably a very low ranking consideration. Most military airplanes are not "owned" by the pilots and the paint schemes are bland. If you are looking to buy a homebuilt airplane that was probably built by a real amateur or maybe a series or amateurs with no ... well you had better be looking beneath the paint (including the documentation) as much as possible to get the best airplane. Then repaint it to your liking.

Many airplanes are painted badly but they reflect the owner's taste and choices. Jeanine and I worked out the details of the paint scheme on our previous airplane and we loved it. It was bright red with silver and black trim. We never tired of it but around 16 years later when we finished our RV-6A we sold it. We loved that airplane but we wanted a faster one and one that I could get a Repairman Certificate for in life after retirement. I can't tell you how it made me feel later to see our beautiful airplane on the internet repainted in a swoopy, poorly balanced, thoughtless and just downright ugly paint scheme. Don't expect the seller to be unmoved by your effort to demilitarize the paint scheme after you buy the plane.

Bob Axsom