riseric

Well Known Member
Patron
Long time with no updates.

I thought I could just share this as I believe it a milestone.

Engine hung today :cool:

It was a challenge as I was alone with only my trusted engine hoist.

Tail down with no extra weight in the rear.

I had to temporarely remove the oil filter so the back could fit through the engine mount.
Then a combination of up/down & left/right moves and I could insert the top bolts, then the bottom ones which were a bit more hassle. I used a lone bolt on one side without the aft Lord mount to help align the bottom engine holes.

Once the 4 bolts bottomed-out, I relieved the hydraulic pressure from the hoist to check for balance and nothing moved, no tip over...
Between 2 & 3 small washers were needed for the castle nuts, then I torqued and installed the cotter-pins.

Next is the propeller and cowl...

Attachments

• IMG_4474.jpg
    IMG_4474.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 346
Congrats, good to celebrate any milestone!!

I installed my engine mount to the hanging engine, about 10 min, then spent the next hour+ finding/making wrenches and positions to do the torque and get the dang cotter pin installed!! Like a Rubics cube!

Congrats from your neighbour! Looking forward to seeing your masterpiece fly at CNV9.:)

Thanks guys !!!
I confirm the cotter pins are a PIA...
I read that some installations use a metal lock-nut instead.
Good idea or not?

Congrats, good to celebrate any milestone!!

I installed my engine mount to the hanging engine, about 10 min, then spent the next hour+ finding/making wrenches and positions to do the torque and get the dang cotter pin installed!! Like a Rubics cube!

Bill, so from your experience, the mount to the hanging engine then to the fuselage was a non-issue???