apatti

Well Known Member
For those that used the Mil Spec (or similar) fastners along the firewall... did any of you beef up the fiberglass edge? Seems like I once read that some folks were glassing in a metal strip along the edge. Can't find it though.

Thanks,

Although Will James is still making my cowl ...

...I'm told the newer Vans cowls and James cowls have enough thickness at the firewall you don't need reinforcements. I'll be able to tell you a LOT more when my cowl gets here. :)

Milspecs

I used the Milspecs along the firewall to top half only, and have had no trouble at all along the fastener line. Important to build your socket rail extension long enough to get a good edge clearance on the cowl. Looks like there is enough material here to support the installation without additional reinforcement.

Regards,
Chris

105 flight hours on my installation and no problems w/o reinforcement. I made sure the grommets in the fiberglass were a tight fit, made a wipe of thin CA (superglue from a hobby shop) on the raw edges of the drilled holes. The fastener bears on the grommet and the grommet is not prone to wiggle and wear on the fiberglass.