Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I'm hoping that someone might have a spare lying around....

Louise's RV-6 (otherwise known as Mikey) ate another alternator the other day - it turns out to be the 3rd one in 500 hours, which is quite excessive, but at least I now know why - I didn't change the earlier ones, but this one clearly has shot bearings, and the reason is equally clear - the brackets that attach it to the engine are clearly Kaput - and they were, shall we say, very "creative" in the first place.

This is a Boss mount (not case mount). It looks like both ACS and Vans sell a bracket kit that consists of three parts - two "L"-shaped pieces and the adjuster arm. I am looking for the style that is a single "U"-shaped piece, an adjuster arm, and the little link with the joggle that goes between the starter and alternator bracket. (No, I don't need the adjuster arm - this one is fine).

I see no reason to destroy another innocent alternator by putting it on the old mounts, but need to get the plane back in the air fairly quickly - does anyone have a lead on a spare?

Paul

Last edited:
Alternator Problems

Hi Paul,

After 500 hours on a Landol alternator, my mount broke. I ordered the Van's one and was amazed at the thinness of the material. I trashed the whole thing and bought the Plane Power unit from ACS.

It's a very first class unit with a very precise fitting and robust mount. You won't be disappointed.

All the best,

Mitch Garner
RV-4 flying
PL-4 flying

The one I have looks like this:

___I______I

2.25" 4"

If this will work, you're welcome to it.
972-784-7544

VAF in Action!

17 minutes to a solution....can't beat that!

Thanks Mel - check your PM's for the address, and I'll let Mikey know that a transplant organ is on the way!

I've heard lots of good things about the Plane Power units Mitch - and they are a quality company! In this case, I already have the new alternator (we're standardizing our "Fleet" so that the two airplanes can share spares), so just needed a bracket - and if no one had one, I figured I could call PP and see if I could just get the part.

Paul

Last edited:
Alternator Bracket

Paul,
I can also attest to the quality of Plane Powers parts/alternator. Has a case mount and straight out the box it fit perfectly for my 0-290D:eek: Nothing fits perfectly for that old engine, but Plane Power did. FYI - they sell replacement parts as well I'm told.
Good luck with Mikey, what a great name for a plane.:D
Mike H 9A/8A

Thank you!

Wow! It is great to have friends like Mel and Frank to help spruce up a mature fellow like me. Thank you! I'm hoping to be ready to fly again when Louise get back from Orlando.

Mel, we missed you and Ann (and that handsome -6 of yours) at LOE!

You're welcome Mikey,

Your alt bracket went out in this morning's mail.