JDRhodes

Well Known Member
If you're not reading them, Mike Busch's articles on engine maintenance and operation are fantastic. This month he discusses EGTs. The titles always sound like a sleepers, but he offers fantastic insight as to what's going on inside your engine, and how not to fall into operation and maintenance myths.

He is incredible! or Don't be too poor to pay attention!

20+ some years ago, I was an A&P, IA, and Director of Maintenance.
I worked for Lompoc Aviation 90% and Santa Maria Aviation 10% of the time.

I was helping in Santa Maria and that is where I met Mike. We were helping Rod Hochstettler (Now MAF), with Mikes annual inspection. Mike wanted to know about everything we thought and did. He was totally involved in all aspects and easily understood whatever he came in contact with.

About a year later I left the Repair Station and went full time with GAHco.

It was years later I saw articles about Mike and his operations.

I thought, hmmm.. That makes sense. Mike always paid total attention to whatever he was involved in.:cool:

If you're not reading them, Mike Busch's articles on engine maintenance and operation are fantastic. This month he discusses EGTs. The titles always sound like a sleepers, but he offers fantastic insight as to what's going on inside your engine, and how not to fall into operation and maintenance myths.
That is a great article and makes so much sense regarding all my needless worry about EGT spreads. I highly recommend reading if you have a carb and have Fuel Injection envy due to your uneven EGTs.

If you REALLY want to understand what's going on in your engine attend GAMI's Advanced Pilot Seminar in Ada, OK. I attended that seminar a number of years ago. Mike Busch was at the session I attended.

Sport Avn Dec 2012...Red box, red fin

Another great article by Mike Busch. I was one of the many that attended an "informal Q & A session" in the Oshkosh heat after one of his forums. For those of us who can't afford APS, thank you Mike!

Storehouse of information

Another great article by Mike Busch. I was one of the many that attended an "informal Q & A session" in the Oshkosh heat after one of his forums. For those of us who can't afford APS, thank you Mike!

You can find loads of his past articles at AvWeb.com. He is a wonderful resource.

Cheers,

Why did Avweb stop doing the articles? There were really good... now they are all gone. :mad:

Karl

Great question. I will wait to see if someone can answer.

I do know that he was no longer on AvWeb after AvWeb either changed hands or came under new management. That is about the same time that I quit reading it on a daily basis.

Completely agree ...

Mike Busch is one of EAA's best "assets", IMO. I read all his articles and have participated in at least four of the webinars he's done. His breadth of experience gives him credibility regarding operations and maintenance that few others in the industry have. Kudos to Mike, and kudos to EAA for bringing him to us!

I put Mike in the same category of guys like Bob Nuckolls, Stein, and a few others - they have a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge that I agree with about 95% of the time. the other 5% is open to honest debate. If I agree 100% with someone, I wonder how I got into the Twilight Zone in the first place..... ;)

Mike does come at things form the certified point of view, so when it comes to paperwork and regs, you need to make sure that you check what he says as to how it pertains to experimentals. But as to how a Lycoming responds to various maintenance procedures or operating techniques, well...the Lyc doesn't know WHAT kind of airplane it is on.

I can answer the question about AvWeb.
Some years ago, they printed "letters to the editor" which were very unflattering to a certain well known pilot and attorney. The attorney, who was quite wealthy and willing to spend his time and money to make a point, sued everyone in sight for slander, etc. AvWeb did not have enough insurance or money to defend itself, and reached a settlement which involved a lot of eating crow.
After that Mike stopped being in AvWeb, for reasons unknown to me but one can speculate, privately.

Great question. I will wait to see if someone can answer.

I do know that he was no longer on AvWeb after AvWeb either changed hands or came under new management. That is about the same time that I quit reading it on a daily basis.

Oh they are all there, I was just skimming through some of them the other night. Umm, on the very first page, just keep scrolling down and you will find a link to past articles or more articles or something like that. All of Mike Bush,s articles are there. Deakins articles are there too; and others. I'll have to go back & look to be more specific; but they are there if you "click" on the right link.

I'll go check & report back unless someone else posts first.

Yes, go to www.avweb.com & scroll down & look for "INDEX OF FULL COLUMNS". You have to look closely. Click on that and a menu of all the wonderful authors & columns appears.

It is there . Enjoy!! :D

Oh they are all there, I was just skimming through some of them the other night. Umm, on the very first page, just keep scrolling down and you will find a link to past articles or more articles or something like that. All of Mike Bush,s articles are there. Deakins articles are there too; and others. I'll have to go back & look to be more specific; but they are there if you "click" on the right link.

I'll go check & report back unless someone else posts first.

I wasn't talking about archived articles. I was talking about new articles and columns that used to be there every week. There aren't any.

The AvWeb e-mails have been reduced to purely news. Not a bad thing but they used to be so much more.

Karl

Just go to: www.avweb.com/columns

Duh!! Sorry. :p
Then look to the right for all the archived columns.

The newest article by Mike Busch is March 30, 2009. Something happened with AvWeb that a lot of authors were no longer writing new articles. I did NOT mean to imply that the OLD articles were not there but that new articles quit appearing.

The newest article by Mike Busch is March 30, 2009. Something happened with AvWeb that a lot of authors were no longer writing new articles. I did NOT mean to imply that the OLD articles were not there but that new articles quit appearing.

Avweb has changed gears a couple of times over the years. First, IIRC, they got sued for a snarky cartoon or commentary. That was probably a decade ago. Their running editorial dialog really changed at that time. It used to be worth reading just for the snarky content (which was spot-on and didn't spare the sacred cows). Now, the editorials are all business.

I'd guess the economic downturn and the continued shrinking of GA pushed them into cost cutting on their free online services, and that's what took Mike Busch out of the mix.

Here is a little background on Kyle's remark rearding the "changes" at AvWeb, Mike Busch was a founder and principal at AvWeb. He later sold out to Belvoir Publishing (Kitplanes, Aviation Consumer, IFR, Light Plane Maintenance, and AvWeb.)

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=65912
Then go to Post #82

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Sorry Guys...

Sorry fellows, yeah, no new articles. I'm saddened about that. Mike's column in Sport Aviation is my first search. Thankful he is still writing & sharing.

Deakins articles sure are a blast to read; besides being so informative. Makes me think about Paul, Stein & others sharing all their knowledge... Hey, Dan Horton, Rocketbob, Tom Martin .... Geez one can go on.... Thanks to you all gang!!! Really! :)