Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
There is a report on MSNBC of a midair preceeding an airshow. The story isn't specific about the aircraft type, but it sounds like a formation team flying homebuilts had an accident with one fatality.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13119210/

Anyone else have more information to share? Putting two and two together from the story and running down another bit of data using Google, this may hit close to home.

I just heard a lead in on FOX news but again no details yet. One fatality was reported. Here is the web link: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,199972,00.html

We just saw several members of the Blackhawk Squadron yesterday at the Boone, IA flyin. Ours thought and prayers go out to those who were invovled and their families and friends.

Jeff Point, "sprucemoose" on this forum, is a member of the Blackhawk Squadron. I don't know him or any other members personally, but I have seen them fly formation and I feel terrible about this tragedy.

My sincerest condolences to all of Mr. Good's friends and family. If there is anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask.

With sympathy,
Doug

This is very, very sad news. I recall a most pleasant conversation I had with Chris a few years ago at OSH about his plane and home base at West Bend.

Our thoughts are with Chris's family and friends......

DeltaRomeo said:
If there is anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask.

Doug:

Is there some way we can setup a fund? I will be first in line with a donation. Perhaps either through VAF or if there is something elsewhere that information could be posted here.

A sad day :(

Chris Good

I'm in total shock right now. It has been a hectic day here with a Tornado touching down near here and the power being out so I have not logged in to my Computer all day. So much to my surprise I read this. My wife and I have known Chris and his wife Sue for two years now, since I joined the 1158th in West Bend. He was my TC and has checked my work on the 7A from the start. He gave me my first RV ride and I have been up with him a few times. He was a great pilot and one of the most easy going people you could ever meet. Chris and Sue are very active with our chapter and Chris will be deeply missed. I just read some of my Chapter emails and you guys know as much as us. I will try to keep VAF posted. I'm numb right now!

Condolences

My sincere condolences.

I didn't have the pleasure of knowing Chris, but here is a Bio of him that I found at the Illinois Valley Airshow's website. It seems that he was part of the Blackhawk Squadron.

Wingman Chris Good
British ex-pat, moved to Wisconsin in 1994 & now a US Citizen. Working in the computer industry, focused on the processing & delivery of high definition digital video. (CTO of VideoPropulsion Interactive Television, Inc., if you want that kind of detail). Married 28 years with one son who recently married a Minnesota girl. Originally learnt to fly in England, gave it up for 15 yrs, & restarted in 1996. PP-SEL with Instrument Rating & 1500 hrs total. Spent 3 years building an RV-6A with first flight 3rd June 2000. Now have 1100 hrs on the aircraft & became an EAA Technical Counselor in 2004. Started formation flying in 2003, joined the Blackhawk Squadron & achieved the FFI Wingman qualification in 2005. Callsign: ?Bulldog?.

Link to airshow

My best to family and friends.

:( CJ

Last edited:
Our Loss

I've met Chris several times at formation clinics and OVRVator UFO practice weekends, most recently at the diamond of diamonds weekend formation clinic. Truly never heard him speak a cross word. The RV community and the world as a whole has suffered a great loss.

God be with your family Chris as I know you are looking down from a beautiful perch.

Bad, bad day here on this earth. Man, this hurts.

Dana Overall
RV-7, Black Magic
Richmond, KY i39

I first met Chris back in 1998 or so. Chris and his wife were genuinely nice people and a pleasure to be around.

This is a sad day for many whose lives he touched.

Sorry for the late post, but I was out of town all weekend w/out phone coverage.

Chris was indeed a member of the Blackhawk Squadron. Most of the details have already been posted so I won't rehash them. Suffice it to say that we're all in shock and not sure where to go from here.

Thanks to everyone for the emails and calls. I'm the only member who's active on this forum, so when I know more about funeral arrangements I'll let you know.

The press never seams to get it right...

Direct from the FAA web site...

********************************************************************************
** Report created 6/19/2006 Record 4 **
********************************************************************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 68LT Make/Model: EXP Description: VANS RV-8
Date: 06/18/2006 Time: 1345

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: Y Missing:
Damage: Minor

DESCRIPTION
N86CG, AN EXPERIMENTAL RV-6A ACFT, AND N68LT, AN EXPERIMENTAL RV-8 ACFT,
WHILE FORMATION LANDING CLIPPED WINGS, THE ONE PERSON ON BOARD N86CG WAS
FATALLY INJURED, AND THE ONE PERSON ON BOARD N68LT SUSTAINED UNKNOWN
INJURIES, PERU, IL

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: 181345Z AUTO 22010KT 10SM OVC095 22/20 A2987

OTHER DATA

FAA FSDO: WEST CHICAGO, IL (GL03) Entry date: 06/19/2006

** Report created 6/19/2006 Record 5 **

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 86CG Make/Model: EXP Description: RV6
Date: 06/18/2006 Time: 1345

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: Y Missing: N
Damage: Destroyed

DESCRIPTION
N86CG, AN EXPERIMENTAL RV-6A ACFT, AND N68LT, AN EXPERIMENTAL RV-8 ACFT,
WHILE FORMATION LANDING CLIPPED WINGS, THE ONE PERSON ON BOARD N86CG WAS
FATALLY INJURED, AND THE ONE PERSON ON BOARD N68LT SUSTAINED UNKNOWN
INJURIES, PERU, IL

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1
# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: 181345Z AUTO 22010KT 10SM OVC095 22/20 A2987

OTHER DATA

Departed: POPLAR GROVE, IL Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: PERU, IL Flt Plan: Wx Briefing: Y
Last Radio Cont:
Last Clearance:

FAA FSDO: WEST CHICAGO, IL (GL03) Entry date: 06/19/2006

Yet another progressive media gem engineered to cultivate as many bug-eyed "commercial watchers" as possible for the least amount of actual investment in production. Throw together a bunch of stock crash footage, and dream up a catch phrase like "Is this truly a safe activity for your family!?", using yet another personal tragedy as a superficial jumping off point. Note how by the end of the segment, they admit that due to FAA regulations, specators have been 100% safe at these events for the last 50 years, basically negating the entire basis of their report.

Too bad these slick media outlets can't take a little more time to humanize the real story by at least attempting to take a brief look into the pilot's life & experience. Reading these posts, there's no doubt that Chris Good gave much more to the community than ABC's view of the world would ever have you know. My thoughts go out to his family and those who knew him.