Paris12Man

Well Known Member
Greetings....For those of you who have completed step 2 on page 29-02 (making F-1201J and F-1201K) can you verify the length required for F1201J. The plans call for 26", but if you notice figure 2 and 3, the hinge half starts and stops with an eyelet. This can only happen if the hinge is 25 1/2". I'm not sure what happens to the other half of the hinge if I cut it 1/2" shorter. Part no. F-1201K is fine with the 12 1/2" cut. The plans have always been so exact on all other measures, I'm just not sure of this one. I realize it is only 1/2".....but I might need that later on someplace. Your help is appreciated.

Experience

Cut to the plans. As I've seen in many posts, don't ask me how I know. It's frigging expensive for replacement pats to the UK.
Jamesey

Jamesey it's not the hinge that's expensive it's the shipping....... Not that I've had to replace any hinges - Honest!! I'm just hoping I'll be all to use them at some point.

Best not mention the 7 replacement rear ribs that have just arrived at the post office - Shipping and vat is about 50% of the overall cost of the things

Digging up a pretty old thread but I ran into this myself. The plans now call for a 25.5 inch hinge - which is eyelet to eyelet. After match drilling having the end lined up with 1201 H per the dwg the last rivet hole misses the hinge.

I'll call vans today just to make sure I didn't miss something. My plan is to cut a 26 inch hinge so the extra half inch (non eyelet) can capture the last rivet hole.

Vans says split the difference - basically 1/4 inch. I had already drilled the part before I saw that it just missed the last hole so I'm just starting over. No big deal - these parts are cheap.

I too basically did what Waterboy did and extended the flat of the hinge 1/2" to catch the lone rivet hole. I figure if there is an interference issue later, it will be quite easy to use a Dremel outfitted with a cutoff wheel to remove a small portion of the excess hinge material.