DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
I'm looking for assistance with a detail of our filter testing project. The task is accurate measurement of the openings in a filter screen. Best I can tell, it would require magnification in the 50x to 150x range, with photography and a measurement scale. If you have access to such a microscope, please drop a PM (now "Conversations") and I'll get right back to you.

What about an SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope)? Any local universities or research facilities in your area operating one? They can measure in microns.

What about an SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope)? Any local universities or research facilities in your area operating one? They can measure in microns.
I managed several labs that had SEM capabilities, if I remember correctly magnification started at 50X and went to 750,000X. Seems overkill for what's needed. University a good idea.

You might be able to find an optical comparator for cheap or at a local machine shop.
Ahhhhh! I had not thought of a comparator. Yep, I know a machine shop with one. Wonder if it will make a photograph....

Could it be reverse-engineered from strand diameter?

Microns 37
Inches 0.0015
Millimeters 0.037
Microns 32
Inches 0.0013
Millimeters 0.032
Microns 25
Inches 0.0010
Millimeters 0.025
Microns 20
Inches 0.0008
Millimeters 0.020