usgeese

Prior to the purchase of my RV6 all of my time spent flying was in antique low and slow airplanes which worked out well for many years. I have had the bug to have a RV for a long time but could not see myself taking the time to build one nor could I afford to purchase a flying one. Well things financially worked out after I sold my Luscombe to start getting serious about an RV and decided that a -6 with basic VFR instruments and a tilt up canopy were some of the things that I would be looking for. Barnstormers and Vansairforce were hit several times a day in this quest. After writing and talking to several owners of planes in my price range I got real serious about a plane near Caro, Michigan. I talked to the owner/builder several times and became more desirous of his plane. A deposit was sent and terms were agreed upon.
My next step was to figure the safest and easiest flight plan from Caro to Fresno, California. I talked to several local pilots that had been to OSH previously to see what they had to say. One recommended the northern route over the Rockies crossing just north of Denver. He had also flown the southern route and said that was a good way to fly also. I also checked out Vansairforce to see if anyone had posted their trips going either way. Now remember, all of my flying prior to the-6 was in low and slow planes so climbing to 12,000 to cross the Rockies was something that I have never even considered before. I finally decided to go south to Las Vegas , NM and then head west over the high dessert. I planned fuel stops for every 300 to 375 miles even though I new the -6 had longer legs than that but I didn't want to push the comfort envelope too much.
When I left Caro at 0645 the weather maps all indicated VFR weather for most of the trip but there were several systems further west that were heading my way. I climbed out to 6500 and head southwest and the bottom of the clouds were still several thousand feet above me so I felt comfortable.
My first planned stop was to be Marshall County airport which was 340 miles away. But we all know about the best laid plans and a little more than an hour in the air mother nature started talking. I started looking for the nearest airport (thanks Garmin) and Andrews University airport was just below me. I dropped down after circling around and lost sight of the strip because of all of the vegetation and trees. I kept looking and kept hitting the "IN" button on the 295 a until I found the airport.
With that taken care of I headed out again and climbed to 6500' again. I skirted the southern shores of Lake Michigan and turned a little more westerly. I could see the skyscrapers of Chicago in the distance and made it a point of staying outside of the Mode C vail. Out in front of me about 3 to 5 miles I could see a plane going through my flight path from south to north headed for O'Hare. This sighting really amped up my concern so I really started scanning the air for any more planes. At one point I looked over my left shoulder and saw a PSA 737 at about 7000' headed my way. I pulled power and turned into him since I didn't want to lose sight of him and descended as fast as possible to clear is wingtip vortices's. He went over me with no problem and I continued on now at 4500'.
Nearing Caro I started descending because I was getting close and because the visibility and ceilings were dropping. Shortly after landing and refueling it started raining quite heavily. I was offered hanger space by the working AI by the name of Kent and took him up on his offer. I was also offered the courtesy car which I did use to go down the road to get something to eat. When I came back and sat around talking to Kent he said that the system overhead might head out soon so I just waited in the pilots lounge. After checking the computer it looked as if the system wasn't going to be moving very soon so Kent again offered the car and told me where the nearest hotel was. After checking into the hotel and getting my room I started hearing a siren going off. Thinking that it was a tornado warning siren I went to the front desk and inquired what was going on. The clerk said that she didn't know since it was not a normal day to test the sirens. I went outside and looking around I could see a black wall of cloud going from the ground and up. I talked to some guys that were standing near by and one said that it was indeed a tornado warning and he had seen a tornado come down and touch the ground about 5 miles away. The system was heading southeast away from my location so I was not too concerned for myself but I was a little concerned for the plane since the airport was off in that direction.

And ......

Don't hold us in suspense!!!

What happened next???????

Sitting on edge of seat waiting for next installment. :) :)
:)

Day 2

I had originally planned on a 2 day trip to bring the plane home but that was not to be. I arrived at Marshall County airport the next morning at 0700 and it was still raining. I had checked the Weather Channel as well as several weather links that I had on my notebook that morning in the hotel and it looked as if it might be awhile before I would be able to get out again. Kent was there and after a while he offered to loan me his Garmin 396 with XM weather if I wanted it. Man, what a great guy! I called FSS at around 0930 and they reported that my route to the S/W was not VFR but it was starting to clear up to the south if I wanted to go that way to skirt around the weather. I decided to wait a while longer and called them again and they still reported VFR not advised but it was again clearing to the south. Looking outside it did look a little clearer to the south but I couldn't see very far in the distance because the airport sits in depression and the terrain rises to the south. I decided to go up and take a look and it was still dark to the S/W but a little clearer to the south so I then headed out in that direction. After 10 minutes or so I had had enough and knew what I had left in terms of hospitality and comfort do I headed back to Marshall (C75). Went to town in the airport car for lunch and supplies, came back and checked the computer and FSS again. The system that was coming in from the N/W was slowly moving my way and was expected to hang around for awhile which it did. FSS still reported improving weather to south so I headed out once again.

When I planned my flight I sat down with WACs and marked my projected flight path out with a pink highlighter so that it would stand out, which it did. When I talked to FSS this day the operator gave me vectors to head out from to miss any weather so I marked them with a blue pen:; Mistake #1. When I was almost done talking to the operator he updated his maps and gave me vectors that were a little different than the first time and I then marked them on the WAC with the blue pen; Mistake #2. I did not have a destination plugged into the GPS because I was advised by FSS to headed south and to start turning west when it started getting clearer, which actually was a good plan on their part. So I head out with my finger on the map following the first radial that FSS had given me but was actually flying on the other radial, go figure! So after about 30 minutes there in front of me is an airport that shouldn't be there because there isn't one under my finger on the map. The GPS was right when I checked it but how could the GPS be right when I had my finger on the map wasn't any where near an airport? So I land and shamefully walk up to the only open hanger with my map and ask "Where am I?" Talk about feeling stupid!

So now that I know where I am I decide to put in an airport into my GPS and to head to that since the weather is better with higher ceilings and better visabilty. So Mexico, Kansas is my next fuel stop then on to Mc Pherson (MPR), Kansas to spend the night. Wouldn't you know it that after all of this bad weather and delays that I get to do my first cross wind landing when landing at Mc Pherson with the wind blowing from 10 to 15 mph across the runway ?

congrats on your new purchase. BUT you will be assigned 1 demerit for not including a picture of said aircraft.:D:D

Day 3

Sorry about the picture missing but I had to wait until my teenage daughter came home to help her computer challenged father do it.
http://i38.tinypic.com/33uzpd4.jpg

OK, day starts out with me headed to Las Vegas, NM (LVS) as a reference point before turning almost due west. As I got closer the cloud cover that I was enjoying since it was keeping me some what cooler started burning off and it was getting a little warmer with the sun coming through the canopy. I turned up the Pecos River valley to scoot north of Albuquerque airspace. North of Albuquerque there was a squall line that I ducked under and saw virga and lightning south of my location.
http://i34.tinypic.com/2z4ef11.jpg

As I got closer to Gallup,NM (GUP) I started encountering more and more clouds with the ceilings slowly dropping. I landed with another wall of ugly black clouds that were coming toward the airport from the southwest. It rained for awhile and I did see lightning off in the distance. Time for lunch so I used another airport car to go off to look for food. When I came back it was still pretty dark off to the west but a little broken to the northwest. Radar indicated a lot of yellows and reds in my path to Kingman so I decided to hole up for another night and tried to keep the 'gethomeitis' under control.

The next day was pretty uneventful with stops in Kingman and the Reedley, Ca for fuel.

The trip was a great one and my longest cross county to date. I saw a lot of beautiful country and learned some lessons along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Trip

That's a great trip and a good route. I know you had fun. I know how the thunderstorms out there can force you to land. I love that route.

Atta boy! nice write up and pic.

sidenote: 2 attaboys will wipe out 1 demerit, but it takes 50 attaboys to remove 1 aah****! be careful out there

Another "attaboy"

Atta boy! nice write up and pic.

sidenote: 2 attaboys will wipe out 1 demerit, but it takes 50 attaboys to remove 1 aah****! be careful out there

That makes it two, so a "demerit" is wiped out!:)

And shouldn't he get TWO MORE for giving a 3 daily reports AND pictures???:D

congrats on your new purchase. BUT you will be assigned 1 demerit for not including a picture of said aircraft.:D:D

And another demerit for admitting you were lost!:D Dad always told me to go in the FBO and look for the dirty spot on the map.;)

PS: if you're ever down around Tehachapi, look me up! Cheap(ish) fuel and a less climbing back up to cruise.

Nice write-up

Sorry I missed you on your stop in McPherson (I manage the place). I didn't see any skid marks into the grass so your first crosswind landing must have gone reasonably well. When you make it back this direction (Oshkosh!) please stop in again. Welcome to the world of RV ownership.

Mexico KS ????

Really enjoyed reading your trip report, but was curious about your fuel stop in Mexico, KS. Was it possibly Mexico MO? If so my grand dad used to keep his Ercoupe on the grass strip he had on his farm a mile south of the runway there. He and the plane are gone now and the strip has soy beans planted on it but the memories are still alive. Super nice plane and great write-up.

Roger