gtmule

Well Known Member
So my PS 5000ex audio panel and Stein air harness sound great but if the mic jack is touching the airframe, the nic doesn't work at all. I thought that should just make it noisy. Is this a PS engineering thing? Just curious, obviously I'll isolate it, just wondering if others had seen the same issue.

So my PS 5000ex audio panel and Stein air harness sound great but if the mic jack is touching the airframe, the nic doesn't work at all. I thought that should just make it noisy. Is this a PS engineering thing? Just curious, obviously I'll isolate it, just wondering if others had seen the same issue.
Did you not get fiber washers with the jacks? They should be isolated. Larry

Not just a PS Engineering issue. All audio circuits are wired with the shield grounded at the intercom end only. Prevents a "ground Loop" which causes noise.

Check out: http://www.aeroelectric.com/

Bob's book Aeroelectric Connection tells all.

Something is wrong. My bet is that you've reversed the mike and ground connections.

Yeah, I wired the jacks per stein's instructions, but maybe they labeled it wrong, or the pins got stuck in the D-sub backwards. I guess I'll break out the long meter probes.

Something definitely is not right...likely with the jacks, but it depends. Did you get our jacks that have the "legs" on them pre-painted with the colors to match the wires, or did you attach them based solely on the drawing? We now supply all jacks with color coded attach lugs because we've found that a large majority of folks have accidentally hooked things up improperly despite their best attempts. Give me a call or email offline and we'll get you figured out!

Cheers,
Stein

Years ago, I had mic jacks from several different suppliers. I assumed that the solder lug positions were the same for all of the jacks...you know, sort of an industry standard. Well, lesson learned. They were not the same. So now I check each jack and only use them in matched sets.

Something definitely is not right...likely with the jacks, but it depends. Did you get our jacks that have the "legs" on them pre-painted with the colors to match the wires, or did you attach them based solely on the drawing? We now supply all jacks with color coded attach lugs because we've found that a large majority of folks have accidentally hooked things up improperly despite their best attempts. Give me a call or email offline and we'll get you figured out!

Cheers,
Stein

They were supplied by you, maybe 6 months ago, no paint or fiber washers. I'll check it out tomorrow and give you a call. I double checked the wiring yesterday (ring, tip, barrel) but maybe I need to double-double check.

-Chuck