rv8bldr

Well Known Member
Hey everyone

I'm thinking of replacing the Rocky Mountain Instruments uMonitor in my -8 with the MGL xTreme EMS. I like everything about it, but... I live in Canada :rolleyes:

When I got up this morning it was -32C outside. In fact, there have been more -20C and lower days this winter than I remember in a long time, which brings up my question:

Has anyone had any experience with the xTreme EMS (positive or negative) in temperatures below 0C (32F) ? The literature on the MGL website lists

Operating: -10C to 50C
Storage: -20C to 80C

Thanks in advance for your input.

I use an MGL extreme EFIS primarily for an engine monitor and for 3 winters have flown in as cold as-24 C It lives in a heated hangar at one end but gets cold soaked to the bone at the other end of a repeat run. Much to my surprise it is the only EFIS that I have owned that has not had issues in the cold. It has proven itself quite well as an engine monitor.

Last edited:
Our specifications tend to be conservative.
We like to err on the "good" side.

We use extended temperature range components as a rule sourced from automotive, industrial and aerospace/military graded batches (in that order).
We find automotive graded components the most robust and reliable.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Thanks for the info, guys. I suspected as much and will be going ahead with the upgrade.

Cheers