rv8bldr

Well Known Member
Hey folks

I've recently replaced my stone age Rocky Mountain uMonitor with an MGL Xtreme EMS. The only issue I am having is with the GPS input. I have an Garmin Aera 500 which is outputting NMEA to both the EMS and my Trio EZ-Pilot. The EZ-Pilot is having no issues. The EMS, while receiving and displaying position and speed, is NOT displaying altitude, satellites tracked, etc. This means, of course, that I can't get the cool Google Earth depictions of my flight :)

I know this is not a baud rate issue as it is receiving and displaying some data perfectly. Is there some secret configuration in the EMS that I need to set to get these other parameters ? The Aera only has one flavour of NMEA that it outputs so no help there.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

Set for Normal mode

make sure you have your unit to setup to pass the serial data in NORMAL mode. In FAST mode a lot of the available data is not transmitted.

From Pg 165 of Pilot guide.

Setting NMEA output mode:
1) From the 'Home' Screen, touch Tools > Setup > Interface.
2) Touch Serial Data Format. A vertical list is displayed.
3) Touch 'NMEA Out'.
4) Touch NMEA Output Mode to toggle between 'Normal' or 'Fast'.
NMEA Sentence Output:
? Normal Mode: GPRMB, GPRMC, GPGGA, GPGSA, GPGSV, GPGLL, GPBWC,
GPVTG, GPXTE, GPBOD, GPRTE, GPWPL, GPAPB, PGRME, PGRMZ, PGRMM,
and PGRMH.
? Fast Mode: GPRMB, GPRMC, PGRMZ, and PGRMH.

Hope this helps.

Hey Greg

That is EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for. Being a guy, I don't make a practice of reading manuals :D I really should have caught that on my own.

Thanks a lot,

mgl

How do you like the mgl? Why that instead of a dynon d-120? Is the screen large enough for you?

uMonitor

My uMonitor is acting up and I may need to buy another one. I may want to buy a backup in any case. Do you want to sell yours?

Doug Holub
Hampton, TN

How do you like the mgl? Why that instead of a dynon d-120? Is the screen large enough for you?

I got the MGL because I like all the features and it was reasonably priced. The screen is perfectly sized for my -8 panel, especially since it is front and centre of me. It is bright, clear, and so far has performed flawlessly. Mind you, it has only been 10 or 20 hours since I installed it, so I will know more once I get 50-100 hours on it.

The best feature (for me) is the "Lean Mode" feature. I know lots of other EMS have it, but this is the first time I have had one. It has allowed me to run LOP, and reduce my fuel burn in cruise by almost 10% compared to before.

My uMonitor is acting up and I may need to buy another one. I may want to buy a backup in any case. Do you want to sell yours?

Doug Holub
Hampton, TN

Sure, Doug, I have no need for it. PM me (or email me at rv8bldr "at" gmail dot com ) and we'll figure something out.