Rainier Lamers

Well Known Member
Please accept my appologies for the delay but the XTreme firmware update is now available for download.

Please scroll to the bottom of the XTreme page on www.MGLAvionics.co.za where you can download the update and details.
Our updates, as usual, are free of any cost. You need an SD card to perform the upgrade on the actual instrument.

This major update concerns inclusion of GPS navigation using the built in GPS and "navidata" aviation database compatibility amongst many smaller changes and additions.

Please note that the XTreme currently does not support navidata files from vendors such as PocketFMS, Easyplan or Jeppesen. The XTreme currently supports any navidata file created using the MGL Central aviation database application which includes our free navidata releases.

Support for the vendors will be added shortly...

Manual is currently being updated to reflect the latest additions which are quite numerous. A lot of work has also been done to the internals which are not visible to the user.

Expect future updates now to be more frequent with fewer items added or changed between releases.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

MGL Central program

The XTreme currently supports any navidata file created using the MGL Central aviation database application which includes our free navidata releases.

The MGL update page talks about using the MGL Central for processing a data. I found the program over on the Odyssey and Enigma section.

So question though, for those of us wanting US data, the current US data is already part of the new packet for the card, no? That would mean we don't do anything with the MGL Central program that is referred to for generating and confirming version 5 data?

best

No you don't have to do anything, just use the data as is.

However, you can import that data into MGL Central and then you have the complete U.S. data in source format, ready to be exported into a new navidata file.
This allows you to edit the data, add your own stuff or generally just go nuts with the system :)

Rainier

The MGL update page talks about using the MGL Central for processing a data. I found the program over on the Odyssey and Enigma section.

So question though, for those of us wanting US data, the current US data is already part of the new packet for the card, no? That would mean we don't do anything with the MGL Central program that is referred to for generating and confirming version 5 data?

best

Great to see this progress on the Extreme. And, how is the progress on the new SP6 magnetometer and SP7 AHRS? Have prices been set?

One issue I found

The only issue I found is with the search function and trying to enter a airport identifier,

When you search you are presented with A?????. When you highlight the A and try to scroll to K nothing happens for 4 or 5 seconds and then the A changes to B or C. So you turn it again and wait another 4 or 5 seconds for the letter to change. It only advances a couple of letters no mater how much you turn the knob. It would take forever to enter a identifier. I tried to use Pg Dn to go through the database to find my destination which was about 100 miles away but you are only presented with airports in a 50 to 60 mile radius. After that the Page down function ceases to work. The search function is useless as is.

I used MGL central to reduce the size of the database (removed all the hilo ports etc) but it didn't help speed up the search.

Other than this issue it is a great unit and function well in all other aspects.

Hi Richard ,

I was thinking of doing the update tomorrow . Any problems and what differences have you noticed ? I look forward to the documentation.

Marc

Problem acknowledged, sorry.
Being fixed now...

Rainier

The only issue I found is with the search function and trying to enter a airport identifier,

When you search you are presented with A?????. When you highlight the A and try to scroll to K nothing happens for 4 or 5 seconds and then the A changes to B or C. So you turn it again and wait another 4 or 5 seconds for the letter to change. It only advances a couple of letters no mater how much you turn the knob. It would take forever to enter a identifier. I tried to use Pg Dn to go through the database to find my destination which was about 100 miles away but you are only presented with airports in a 50 to 60 mile radius. After that the Page down function ceases to work. The search function is useless as is.

I used MGL central to reduce the size of the database (removed all the hilo ports etc) but it didn't help speed up the search.

Other than this issue it is a great unit and function well in all other aspects.