PCHunt

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Is the Xtreme autopilot in operation now, or is it still in the future? Any Xtreme users out there? .......... and how do you like it?

Getting started on the planning for a panel upgrade from steam.

Integration of the autopilot source code from the MGL G2 EFIS systems to the XTreme is in progress now.
I hope that this will be ready for test flying very soon.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Is the Xtreme autopilot in operation now, or is it still in the future? Any Xtreme users out there? .......... and how do you like it?

Getting started on the planning for a panel upgrade from steam.

My follow up question is whether the xtreme needs the sp6 and sp7 sensors (~$1000) to function as an autopilot. I suspect that it does.

I heard from Matt at MGL that it will support autopilot servos by January. Not sure if the sp6 or sp7 sensors will be will be required.

The MGL servos will hang off the CAN bus and [will or will eventually] get their instruction from the Xtreme (or iEFIS). Since the Xtreme can track a flight plan by itself, the minimum might be the GPS source (internal or external).

EDIT: it may well need the SP7 attitude sensor; I was forgetting my stand-alone AP has a simple internal gyro for some of it calculations.

A lot has been going on with the MGL CAN bus but not much has been published yet.

Last edited:
Since the Xtreme can track a flight plan by itself, the minimum should be the GPS source (internal or external).

I would guess that the gyro would be necessary for a stable autopilot. Knowing if the wings are level (or whatever position they are in) could be derived from the gps course. But it would be delayed and could cause a lot of wondering on the part of the autopilot trying to follow a course.

This is only my guess. I have not written a autopilot before. Sounds fun though. I have done a couple of gyro efis related apps/projects.

Christopher.

Waiting time exceeded

I was the OP over a year ago. I gave up waiting :( and installed a TRIO autopilot, still with steam gages.

Very Happy with Trio unit :) and their support. The Trio will interface with most all glass units if/when I make the change.

I would guess that the gyro would be necessary for a stable autopilot.

Christopher - you may be right for some or all of the AP capability. I was forgetting my TruTrak AP has a simple self contained gyro. I've updated my original post to not mislead anyone.

While I still do not know if the Xtreme has autopilot capability yet, I do have an answer to the question if the SP6 and/or SP7 are required ...

From MGL documentation:
SP-4, SP-5 or SP-7 AHRS. The AHRS supplies turn rates, bank and pitch angles for use by the autopilot. The autopilot will not work without an AHRS.

I really like some of Rainiers ideas. He just needs to hire a closer or two, as it seems he never really finishes one idea before he is distracted by another one. He is a great idea man, but desperately needs a head down engineering dept to push his creations to completion.