Hi Group,

I am planning to use the MGL Voyager for my RV8. The plan is to use the Voyager as a replacement for all instruments. (Supplemented with the legally required steam gages)
The MGL site states "One input to 12V nominal supply. System operates from 6V to 28V." This seems to accommodate for a power dip during engine start (assumption).

I wonder if the MGL is 'approved' for staying on during engine start and if people currently flying with the Voyager (or Odyssey) are using a backup battery for this purpose. I need the unit to stay on, to be able to read the oil pressure.

What are the operational experiences with this?

Kind regards,
Duncan

I have an odyssey w/o a backup battery, on 99% of the flights there is zero change to the screen during startup. I have on two ocasions after the plane had been sitting for a while in the cold that the screen rebooted on startup. However, it wasnt a problem because it's only about 2-3 seconds before the engine info is back up and I can check oil pressure.

All our instruments are designed to remain switched on during engine start provided the aircraft's electrical system is at least more or less sound.
Our instruments tend to operate down to about 6V (some with reduced backlight intensity at that level).
This should be OK in most cases to cater for the voltage levels you can expect during engine cranking.
Of course, should the voltage drop lower (cold temperatures or tired battery), the instruments will shut down and restart the moment the voltage is usable again.
This is not a huge issue though as our EFIS systems have the fastest startup or boot times for a complex, operating system based EFIS in the industry by a wide margin, even our G2 needs only a few seconds.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Hi Group,

I am planning to use the MGL Voyager for my RV8. The plan is to use the Voyager as a replacement for all instruments. (Supplemented with the legally required steam gages)
The MGL site states "One input to 12V nominal supply. System operates from 6V to 28V." This seems to accommodate for a power dip during engine start (assumption).

I wonder if the MGL is 'approved' for staying on during engine start and if people currently flying with the Voyager (or Odyssey) are using a backup battery for this purpose. I need the unit to stay on, to be able to read the oil pressure.

What are the operational experiences with this?

Kind regards,
Duncan