Irishflyer

I'm New Here
Hi Guys...I am a new member and building an RV7 in Ireland and wondered if anyone could email me some picture of MGL SP6 and 7 installation on a typical RV7...any help would be greatly appreciated

Mounting

Sorry no pics. I mounted the SP6 behind the baggage bulkhead up high. The SP7 is on top of my radio stack. No issues.

I am building a rv8, but just uploaded some pics of that on my build site. Not flying yet, but so far it checks out very good. Link to build is below in my signature.

Bird

I have an RV-8 and it follows what has been said before. I added a "shelf" in the tail cone. The only pictures are found in a blog post I wrote while working in the tail to install the SP6.

The SP7 was installed behind the panel. You can see and read about it in this other blog post.

If I may chime in here.

SP-7 update is for the AHRS. This update can be applied to any SP-7 and it is being put into production now. This update introduces a new AHRS algorithm that uses dynamic aiding that can aid the system during manouvers. This makes the SP-7 much less sensitive to installation issues such as vibration etc as gyro measurment errors now have less effect.
The SP-7 update has no effect on the SP-6 calibration.

The SP-6 update that is also available was introduced a while ago. This gives the SP-6 a very clever way of in-flight calibration which effecively uses the magnetometers in the SP-6 to paint a three dimensional magnetic survey of your aircraft - very accurately. Once it knows that it has information on the location and magnitude of all magnetic disturbances in your aircraft and simply subtracts them to arrive at a remarkably accurate heading performance even in bad installations that would previously result in a completely unservicable compass. This is a really recomended upgrade for all SP-6 owners that have to install their sensor in a compromised location.

Both upgrades can be downloaded from MGL's website and require a PC running Windows and a RS232 serial port - you have to construct/cannibalise a RS232 cable to connect between the PC or Laptop (USB RS232 dongle) and supply the SP6 or SP7 with power during the update.
Both use the same pinouts so you can use one cable for both.

Rainier