Rainier Lamers

Well Known Member
SP-6 small.jpg

The SP-6 has received a very major firmware update which is also available to existing owners of the SP-6. The update can be downloaded from www.MGLAvionics.co.za/SP6.html
It requires a Windows PC and construction of a RS232 cable (details in the upgrade instructions). You can use a RS232 USB device. You can also contact your MGL distributor if you are not able to perform the upgrade yourself.

The new SP-6 firmware introduces our thus far most complex calibration algorithm. The SP-6 is now able to fully calibrate itself during a short calibration flight sequence. It does not require any external aiding of any sort to do this and this can be done even if you are using the SP-6 with an AV-1 or AV-2 panel mount single instrument.

The new algorithm is highly sophisticated. During the calibration flight the SP-6 is able to construct a 3D image of your aircrafts magnetic signature in great detail. It locates and quantifies all hard and soft iron magnetic interferences and then constructs an inverse image of that which it then is able to use to cancel out all of these errors. It is even able to cancel out effects of magnets placed nearby (subject to a total magnetic field strength not exceeding about 200uT, about 4 times the strongest Earth magnetic field).
This new method works extremely well and relaxes the installation requirements for such a device. You can achieve single degree accuracy even in very compromised mounting locations. There is no on-ground or other calibration procedures or compass swings required. Simply install and go fly. Start the calibration, do a few random turns at a selection of bank angles and end the calibration. It's even fun !

The new manual on the SP-6 describes the algorithm in some detail, enough detail for anybody with a bit of background with this kind of thing to duplicate the algorithm or generate something similar. Enjoy !

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I enjoyed reading the description of the algorithm you are using. It's the same idea as what I'm using in a data logger for meteorological data we plan to put into gliders to gain more knowledge about mountain waves.

I enjoyed reading the description of the algorithm you are using. It's the same idea as what I'm using in a data logger for meteorological data we plan to put into gliders to gain more knowledge about mountain waves.

Interesting - we are having a talk on mountain waves at the flying club later. Big glider community here. Sometimes we get some rather interesting waves in this area. The glider guys go nuts when that happens...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics